It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Importing Notes_Log from CSV (NOT from ClearQuest)

Mike Johnson (28624221) | asked Feb 25 '11, 11:14 a.m.
I am trying to import issues from another bug tracking system into our RTC instance. I am using the "Import Work Items from CSV" capability.

From reading other forum posts, it appears that you cannot put a mapping to the discussion field in the mapping XML file. When importing ClearQuest records, though, if there is a field called Notes_Log, the importer will supposedly correctly fill in the discussion field in RTC.

In my CSV we have a column that is analogous to the discussion field. So I renamed the column header as "Notes_Log" and was hoping that the comments would appear in the discussion field. However, nothing comes in. I suspect that maybe the text in that field needs to be in some specific format that the importer understands in order to correctly parse out the date and user? Can someone provide me what that format is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

6 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 25 '11, 12:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am trying to import issues from another bug tracking system into our RTC instance. I am using the "Import Work Items from CSV" capability.

From reading other forum posts, it appears that you cannot put a mapping to the discussion field in the mapping XML file. When importing ClearQuest records, though, if there is a field called Notes_Log, the importer will supposedly correctly fill in the discussion field in RTC.

In my CSV we have a column that is analogous to the discussion field. So I renamed the column header as "Notes_Log" and was hoping that the comments would appear in the discussion field. However, nothing comes in. I suspect that maybe the text in that field needs to be in some specific format that the importer understands in order to correctly parse out the date and user? Can someone provide me what that format is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance,
Mike Johnson

Hi Mike

I don't know the exact format - but I did try exporting a set of work items with comments - and looked at the resultant output.

The comments are in the format

Name Date
Comment

A silly test output looks like this:

Anthony Kesterton - 25/02/2011 17:13
Comment A
Add another comment
Stuff

This was all in the same CSV cell.

I wonder if that works on the import too - worth a try...

anthony

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Feb 25 '11, 12:34 p.m.
I tried that as well, but no luck -- also tried renaming the Notes_Log to Comments in the field headers in the import CSV.

Perhaps the CSV import just does not support the Discussion field at all...??

permanent link
Lorelei Ngooi (1.5k22) | answered Feb 25 '11, 12:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm not sure about importing comments using the csv format, but if you use an xml format, you can import them. Look at the Importing from Other Issue Tracking Systems section in http://jazz.net/library/LearnItem.jsp?href=content/tech-notes/rational-team-concert-1_0-importing-work-items/index.html to see the format to handle comments via the long_desc field.

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Feb 26 '11, 4:38 a.m.
Comments are supported from CSV. The name of the column for comments has
to match with the comments
field in the target project area. Try export a work item from RTC via
CSV and select comments then you see
the name. I think its "Discussion" instead of comments.

Ben

On 25.02.2011 6:53, lngooi wrote:
I'm not sure about importing comments using the csv format, but if
you use an xml format, you can import them. Look at the Importing
from Other Issue Tracking Systems section in
http://jazz.net/library/LearnItem.jsp?href=content/tech-notes/rational-team-concert-1_0-importing-work-items/index.html
to see the format to handle comments via the long_desc field.

permanent link
Mike Johnson (28624221) | answered Feb 28 '11, 11:56 a.m.
Ben,
Tried that as well. It gets exported as "Comments." I get no results if I name the field Comments or if I name it Discussion.

I wanted to take a look @ the Eclipse client source code and see if I can discern what's going on, but it appears that the RTC client source code isn't on jazz.net anymore. I swear I remember that source code being on jazz.net for RTC 2.0 and below?? Am I crazy or what?

Thanks,
Mike

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Mar 11 '11, 2:53 p.m.
We should follow up in a bug report on RTC against Work Items component,
please cc me.

On 28.02.2011 10:22, micjohnson997 wrote:
Ben,
Tried that as well. It gets exported as "Comments." I get
no results if I name the field Comments or if I name it Discussion.

I wanted to take a look @ the Eclipse client source code and see if I
can discern what's going on, but it appears that the RTC client
source code isn't on jazz.net anymore. I swear I remember that
source code being on jazz.net for RTC 2.0 and below?? Am I crazy or
what?

Thanks,
Mike

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.