It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC vs BMC Remedy

Winton Huang (121) | asked Feb 17 '11, 2:29 a.m.
Anyone has experience using BMC Remedy? I know that BMC Remedy is intended for IT Service Management for ITIL based process. In Remedy there's workflow engine as well to capture change management.

If we have already had Remedy in our organization, would it be a duplicate if we implement RTC? What's the compelling reason to use RTC instead of Remedy?

Thanks,
Winton

5 answers

permanent link
Tony DeFarlo (1262314) | answered Sep 15 '11, 6:29 a.m.
We replaced Remedy with RTC for our service desk. We did not want to have two change management systems. IT was skeptical that RTC could replace Remedy, but it turned out to be quite simple. In our next phase, we hope to integrate RTC with NetCool and Tivoli TADDM to have hardware and software alerts automatically create RTC work items

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Feb 17 '11, 1:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Anyone has experience using BMC Remedy? I know that BMC Remedy is intended for IT Service Management for ITIL based process. In Remedy there's workflow engine as well to capture change management.

If we have already had Remedy in our organization, would it be a duplicate if we implement RTC? What's the compelling reason to use RTC instead of Remedy?

Thanks,
Winton

Hi Winton

I think you need to identify what you want the tooling to do. If you are doing service-desk type work, then RTC is not specifically designed for this purpose and Remedy will be a more focused solution. On the other hand - I would not want to try and link Remedy to code changes, or plans. I am sure you could do this - but it would be difficult.

Perhaps you should like at combining the two products - and feed change requests from Remedy into RTC project areas that actually implements the change.

OSLC (www.open-services.org) has information on how to access RTC work items from a REST API - and would be a good way to link the products.

regards
anthony

permanent link
Medet ÖZELLİ (1111) | answered Aug 03 '11, 10:55 a.m.
Hi all

We have BMC Remedy implemented in our company for IT Service Management. We' ve implemented almost all of the Remedy Processes except for the ones related to SDLC.(Incident M, Event M., ...)

We are happy with RTC for SDLC. I wonder if anyone made Remedy <> RTC Integrationo over OSLC.

Example : Relating a change request ticket to Work Item for bugfix for that incident in RTC

Thanks

permanent link
Simon King (6) | answered Aug 03 '11, 4:24 p.m.
Hi all

We have BMC Remedy implemented in our company for IT Service Management. We' ve implemented almost all of the Remedy Processes except for the ones related to SDLC.(Incident M, Event M., ...)

We are happy with RTC for SDLC. I wonder if anyone made Remedy <> RTC Integrationo over OSLC.

Example : Relating a change request ticket to Work Item for bugfix for that incident in RTC

Thanks

It depends a lot on what process you're trying to follow.

If you're trying to run SDLC independent of ops, RTC is probably very good

If you're trying to coordinate app dev with ops, then there it may be better to consider staying in one system so that you have complete end to end reporting

- report development issues as incident tickets
- when SW release is complete create problems from open incidents
- then use problems to prioritize changes that will fix the defects

In addition, it's recommended that you conduct release mgmt for governance and align with business needs before spinning up new projects to avoid the Alignment Trap (MIT/Sloan)
http://bit.ly/nruH0V

The advantage of this are
- ops are aware of app changes before they are deployed
- single backlog of ops and apps
- improved alignment with business needs

permanent link
Medet ÖZELLİ (1111) | answered Sep 15 '11, 2:15 a.m.
We are trying to coordinate app dev with ops but we have to do it with these products actually. Remedy for ITSM and RTC for Development
Actually I wonder If we can define use a Remedy Web Service as an Artifact Container in RTC.

We might associate changesets changes to Remedy items in this way. And relate RTC Work Items to Remedy Change Requests

Thanks in advance

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.