It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Marking requirements in documents - strange behavior

Eamon McCormick (4195) | asked Feb 02 '11, 12:00 p.m.
Hello,

I have a customer currently using RRC 2.0.0.2. They prefer to work in a document, then go back and mark appropriate text as requirements. They notice that when the text is long, it gets truncated in the document. We recommended that they choose the "imbed" option instead. With that they see the strange behavior of the requirement being embedded properly, but the text they first highlighted to create the requirement remaining, basically as duplicate text.

Is this designed behavior (both the truncation and leaving the duplicate text)? Is there a better way for them to work in documents and tag requirements?

4 answers

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Feb 02 '11, 6:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hello,

I have a customer currently using RRC 2.0.0.2. They prefer to work in a document, then go back and mark appropriate text as requirements. They notice that when the text is long, it gets truncated in the document. We recommended that they choose the "imbed" option instead. With that they see the strange behavior of the requirement being embedded properly, but the text they first highlighted to create the requirement remaining, basically as duplicate text.

Is this designed behavior (both the truncation and leaving the duplicate text)? Is there a better way for them to work in documents and tag requirements?

Yes the truncation is happening is because it is a link rather than an embed. Usually the text is truncated with 3 "..." after it to indicate that there is more. The only way to seem the more information is to navigate the link or embed as you suggest.

I am not sure if this is what is happening but with an embed both a title and the text is created - and appears in the document. If the text is short it can look strange because it will appear as though it is duplicated.

There have been enhancement requests to be able to toggle the embed name and switch it off, especially when printing.

permanent link
Eamon McCormick (4195) | answered Feb 02 '11, 7:32 p.m.
Hello,

Yes the truncation is happening is because it is a link rather than an embed. Usually the text is truncated with 3 "..." after it to indicate that there is more. The only way to seem the more information is to navigate the link or embed as you suggest.

I am not sure if this is what is happening but with an embed both a title and the text is created - and appears in the document. If the text is short it can look strange because it will appear as though it is duplicated.

There have been enhancement requests to be able to toggle the embed name and switch it off, especially when printing.

Thanks Robin. So how about the truncation? Would be nice if there was an option to "show full requirement text". My client has a problem b/c when they want to untag, they still get only the truncation, not the full text.

permanent link
Stef van Dijk (2.0k179) | answered Feb 03 '11, 9:35 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Regarding your question about the duplicate text, that is a defect which was fixed in 2.0.0.3.

https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/28584

permanent link
Eamon McCormick (4195) | answered Feb 03 '11, 11:58 a.m.
Hi,

Regarding your question about the duplicate text, that is a defect which was fixed in 2.0.0.3.

https://jazz.net/jazz03/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/28584

Fantastic Stef, that is great news.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.