It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can you add new tabs/sections in the right of RRC V3

Nigel Hopper (1032625) | asked Feb 03 '11, 4:47 a.m.
Hi

Currently prototyping with the latest RRC V3 beta. On the right of artefacts you have the section for Overview, Comments and Links.

I've been asked if it is possible to add other sections and have specified fields in them.

This can be done in RTC v2 (So I expect so in V3) in that you can add tabs to the work items using the view editor.

Would like to do the same for RRC.

Can it be done! (Currently just using the Web interface).

Thanks, Nigel

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 03 '11, 7:01 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Actually it's not possible to add sections to the right sidebar in RRC.

However there is a mini-dashboard on the left side, which (I think) makes use of the dashboard viewlets, including widgets hosted in other servers and using OpenSocial (I haven't looked closely at this enhancement to know whether there are limitations in the mini-dashboard compared to the main one).

I would be interested in knowing what additional information you would like to put in the right sidebar (and for what purpose), and whether the left mini-dashboard might meet your needs.

permanent link
Nigel Hopper (1032625) | answered Feb 03 '11, 11:26 a.m.
Hi Daniel, I was on the phone when you demo'd RRC to Andy Bates and myself!

The left mini dashboard is not appropriate as it is generic to artefacts (keep writing work items!) whereas we are looking to create areas specific for the artefacts.

This was specifically to allow user defined sections for each work item. For example, I have created an artefact type of Customer and it would be useful to have a section for contact information or IT configuration. Two of the requirements that I have been asked to try and fulfil. It would also be a requirement to define fields in each section such as enumerations that might be required.

At the moment I'm guessing that I will either have to create fields all in the same overview section.

Thanks, Nigel

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Feb 03 '11, 11:57 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
A terminology clarification: within the requirements application provided by RRC the artifacts are called "artifacts" rather than work items. RTC provides a work item capability for RRC (and other) users.

Depending on the type of information you want to include for each customer artifact, you could make use of RRC attributes, which are already available in the sidebar. Otherwise, you could capture it in the main body of the customer artifact (using a template to encourage consistency. You can also use various grouping mechanisms to express related info, e.g., folder per customer, tag per customer, etc.

For example, you could have a "customer interaction" artifact type in which to capture notes from meetings with customers. These could be "placed" in the customer folder, and you can use the folder as one of the search criteria when getting "interesting and relevant' info on the UI at the same time for the user.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.