It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Duplicate stream and components

Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | asked Jan 19 '11, 9:09 p.m.
I found that I could create duplicate stream name and components in RTC 2.0.0.2 and there is no warning thrown up by RTC. I understand that there is a Dupliate option available on th right click but still there should be some error message displayed when a stream with the same name is created again. Is it a bug?

6 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 20 '11, 2:40 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Kaushambi,

the name of these objects are not their identifiers used by the system, they are only tags for the users. So the system can handle Objects with the same name. You can always rename to provide better distinction. However since it can cause issues for the user 3.x is enhanced providing an advanced property in the CCM (aka RTC SCM) capability that allows to enforce unique component names.

Ralph

I found that I could create duplicate stream name and components in RTC 2.0.0.2 and there is no warning thrown up by RTC. I understand that there is a Dupliate option available on th right click but still there should be some error message displayed when a stream with the same name is created again. Is it a bug?

permanent link
Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | answered Jan 20 '11, 7:48 a.m.
Where can we find the identifiers for this? I don't see any identifier attribute so its really confusing. Well, I tried this in RTC 3.0 as well, creating a stream with same set of components and I was able to do that without any warnings. Let me know if I am missing out anything.

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jan 20 '11, 8:53 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Where can we find the identifiers for this? I don't see any identifier attribute so its really confusing. Well, I tried this in RTC 3.0 as well, creating a stream with same set of components and I was able to do that without any warnings. Let me know if I am missing out anything.

If you're using a 3.0 server, you can enable duplicate component name checks in the advanced properties. This will perform a check when creating/renaming components and give a message to the user if the component name is a duplicate.

For the unique identifiers, they aren't meant to be used by users so there isn't a lot one can do with it in the Eclipse client once you know the identifier.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 20 '11, 10:24 a.m.
Tim is correct,

as stated above there is an advanced attribute (search for unique) that an admin can set in https://...../ccm/admin or https://...../jazz/admin. It is only for component names. It is switched to false for backward compatibility, I guess.

The ID's are internal and not meant for users. However they make sure that independent of the chosen name the streams/components created can be distinguished by the system. You have several objects in the UI, in case you use the same name again. You can alway choose a better name if you created streams or components with the same name.

Ralph

If you're using a 3.0 server, you can enable duplicate component name checks in the advanced properties. This will perform a check when creating/renaming components and give a message to the user if the component name is a duplicate.

For the unique identifiers, they aren't meant to be used by users so there isn't a lot one can do with it in the Eclipse client once you know the identifier.

permanent link
Darshan Patel (7133) | answered May 19 '11, 5:55 a.m.
How do i create a sharable component in RTC 3.0 so that i can use that component in the process template and this way can be used by any project area?

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered May 19 '11, 7:22 a.m.
Hi,

I don't understand the reference to the process template, but you can add components from any stream in any project you are connected to and have the permission to see. That means in project P1 with stream S1 (and component C1.1) you can add component C2.1 from stream S2 in Project P2. This also works cross repositories.

Thanks,

Ralph

How do i create a sharable component in RTC 3.0 so that i can use that component in the process template and this way can be used by any project area?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.