It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 3.0 - Configuring plan modes

Claudia Callegari (44449871) | asked Jan 18 '11, 8:23 a.m.
Hi,

Taking a look at the plan modes defined in the Formal PM template, I would like to use the Taskboard plan mode associated to a Phase Plan. I know that I can define the association, but I realized the Taskboard plan mode does not group by owner and I would like to see that. So I tried to change the grouping but I noticed the definition of Taskboard plan mode is not within the XML.
1) Is there anything I am missing or doing wrong? Or it's just a matter that it cannot be configured without creating a new plan mode similar to Taskboard?
2) Is there any risk on configuring plan modes that come with the template by default?

Thanks for the guidance,
--Claudia Callegari

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jan 21 '11, 5:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Claudia,

to my knowledge there should be no risk in adding new plan modes. http://jazz.net/library/article/587 mentions how to add plan modes. Creating new views/modes in a life plan is a normal use case too and all you want to do is have them in your template by default.

I just created a new Taskboard view in a Phase Plan as described here http://jazz.net/library/article/590 and it is also possible to add the grouping by owner.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hi,

Taking a look at the plan modes defined in the Formal PM template, I would like to use the Taskboard plan mode associated to a Phase Plan. I know that I can define the association, but I realized the Taskboard plan mode does not group by owner and I would like to see that. So I tried to change the grouping but I noticed the definition of Taskboard plan mode is not within the XML.
1) Is there anything I am missing or doing wrong? Or it's just a matter that it cannot be configured without creating a new plan mode similar to Taskboard?
2) Is there any risk on configuring plan modes that come with the template by default?

Thanks for the guidance,
--Claudia Callegari

permanent link
Suheb Farooqi (652) | answered Sep 13 '11, 2:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
So how does one update existing plans after modifying one of the plan modes. For example I would like to add another column to Iterations plan mode. I edited an existing plan and added the column. However I would like all new plans and any existing plans that have Iterations plan mode to also display the column. Another case is when I change the name of an attribute. In the case of workitems, there is an option to synchronize attributes. Is there a similar capability in plans so that all existing plans display the new label. I found that after making such a change, only new Plans were showing the new label in the column header of a plan view.

-Suheb Farooqi

Hi Claudia,

to my knowledge there should be no risk in adding new plan modes. http://jazz.net/library/article/587 mentions how to add plan modes. Creating new views/modes in a life plan is a normal use case too and all you want to do is have them in your template by default.

I just created a new Taskboard view in a Phase Plan as described here http://jazz.net/library/article/590 and it is also possible to add the grouping by owner.

Thanks,

Ralph

Hi,

Thanks for the guidance,
--Claudia Callegari

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 14 '11, 11:47 p.m.
I have experienced funny behavior with modifying plan modes. In
particular, after you save an update to a plan mode, open the Process
Configuration tab in the project area editor, and look at the Plan Modes
section. I will usually see two copies of the plan mode I just edited,
one that has been promoted (the original), and one that still needs to
be promoted (my new copy). In order to make my edits apply to existing
plans with that plan mode, I often have to:
- remove that plan mode from the plan types it is in
- remove the original (promoted) plan mode
- promote the plan mode so it is available for use in plan types
- add that plan mode back into the plan types it should belong in.

I'll try to submit a bug on that, in case the planning team isn't aware
of this behavior (and if it is deliberate, I'd be very interested in
hearing an explanation ... it is very confusing).

Cheers,
Geoff

On 9/13/2011 3:08 PM, sfarooqi wrote:
So how does one update existing plans after modifying one of the plan
modes. For example I would like to add another column to Iterations
plan mode. I edited an existing plan and added the column. However I
would like all new plans and any existing plans that have Iterations
plan mode to also display the column. Another case is when I change
the name of an attribute. In the case of workitems, there is an
option to synchronize attributes. Is there a similar capability in
plans so that all existing plans display the new label. I found that
after making such a change, only new Plans were showing the new label
in the column header of a plan view.

-Suheb Farooqi

rschoonwrote:
Hi Claudia,

to my knowledge there should be no risk in adding new plan modes.
http://jazz.net/library/article/587 mentions how to add
plan modes. Creating new views/modes in a life plan is a normal use
case too and all you want to do is have them in your template by
default.

I just created a new Taskboard view in a Phase Plan as described
here http://jazz.net/library/article/590 and it is also
possible to add the grouping by owner.

Thanks,

Ralph

ccallegwrote:
Hi,

Taking a look at the plan modes defined in the Formal PM template, I
would like to use the Taskboard plan mode associated to a Phase Plan.
I know that I can define the association, but I realized the
Taskboard plan mode does not group by owner and I would like to see
that. So I tried to change the grouping but I noticed the definition
of Taskboard plan mode is not within the XML.
1) Is there anything I am missing or doing wrong? Or it's just a
matter that it cannot be configured without creating a new plan mode
similar to Taskboard?
2) Is there any risk on configuring plan modes that come with the
template by default?

Thanks for the guidance,
--Claudia Callegari

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Sep 26 '11, 7:47 a.m.
So how does one update existing plans after modifying one of the plan modes. For example I would like to add another column to Iterations plan mode. I edited an existing plan and added the column. However I would like all new plans and any existing plans that have Iterations plan mode to also display the column. Another case is when I change the name of an attribute. In the case of workitems, there is an option to synchronize attributes. Is there a similar capability in plans so that all existing plans display the new label. I found that after making such a change, only new Plans were showing the new label in the column header of a plan view.

-Suheb Farooqi

A plan should be updated immediately after editing the (life) plan mode. I am talking about editing tin the plan - not about editing it in the process configuration which I have not yet played with. changing the name of an attribute is something that I would expect to happen automatically at least after closing and reopening the plan. Which client? Eclipse or Web? I would consider writing a work item for this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.