It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sizing with RTC 3.0

jean-claude vauthier (22634856) | asked Dec 02 '10, 9:48 a.m.
Hello,

I have read few articles around sizing. Very interesting.

I'm not very good with mathematics..... If I have a legacy of 50 GB (C/C++ or java) source code, how should I proceed to calculate the initial size of the repository ?

Then if I plan 100 developers working with RTC in the next coming year, how should I proceed to estimate the disk size required ?

Then if I plan to deploy RRC in one year (around 20 analyst) and RQM (20 testers), which kind of sizing should I plan to be comfortable for 3 years ?

I imagine that everything is stored into the database. Does the choice of the database Oracle/DB2/SQLServer has an huge impact on the sizing ?

In the paper of JM Lemieux Self Hosting by the numbers from June 2008 I don't understand why moving to a dual server setup and why 400GB is allocated to the application server node and just 200GB for the database server node.

Sorry, for these basics questions, I'm a novice in that domain. The constraints of the jazz architecture/technologies are not clear to me.

I'm interested by RTC 3.0 architecture and deployment consideration. I have also read this paper : http://jazz.net/library/article/551

Thank you

Jean-Claude

6 answers

permanent link
Radim Kolar (1121) | answered Dec 04 '10, 5:36 p.m.
I'm not very good with mathematics..... If I have a legacy of 50 GB (C/C++ or java) source code, how should I proceed to calculate the initial size of the repository ?

dont worry about it, any size will be good tablespace will be autoresized as required.

Then if I plan 100 developers working with RTC in the next coming year, how should I proceed to estimate the disk size required ?
disk size is not a big issue, today disk storage is cheap. I estimate that 250 GB striped across 4-6 disks should be enough.

I imagine that everything is stored into the database. Does the choice of the database Oracle/DB2/SQLServer has an huge impact on the sizing ?

on diskspace used? i dont think that it will make more than 30% difference. I would go for DB2, because you will get free licence with RTC at it have small administration overhead.

http://www.channeldb2.com/profiles/blogs/db2-express-c-vs-ms-sql

In the paper of JM Lemieux Self Hosting by the numbers from June 2008 I don't understand why moving to a dual server setup and why 400GB is allocated to the application server node and just 200GB for the database server node.

i didnt read it.

permanent link
jean-claude vauthier (22634856) | answered Dec 14 '10, 4:47 a.m.
Hello,

Thanks for this information. I know the storage by itself is cheap, but in the current context, the storage allocation is managed by a third party. Asking for more space goes through a process which is not cheap and requires some delay.... thus it would be better to plan the right sizing at the beginning.

Thank you,

dont worry about it, any size will be good tablespace will be autoresized as required.

disk size is not a big issue, today disk storage is cheap. I estimate that 250 GB striped across 4-6 disks should be enough.

on diskspace used? i dont think that it will make more than 30% difference. I would go for DB2, because you will get free licence with RTC at it have small administration overhead.

http://www.channeldb2.com/profiles/blogs/db2-express-c-vs-ms-sql

i didnt read it.

permanent link
Gabriel Jonsson (10644) | answered Dec 16 '10, 4:55 a.m.
A followup question on this:

I read in the license documents that if I buy license for RTC 3 I will get license for DB2 Enterprise edition to use with RTC, but I cant use any of these addons (unless I pay for those licenses and there will probably only be money to cover the RTC licenses):

Prohibited Components

Notwithstanding any provision in the Agreement, Licensee is not authorized to use any of the following components or functions of the Program:
Storage Optimization Feature (of IBM DB2)
Geodetic Data Management Feature (of IBM DB2)
Homogeneous Replication Feature (of IBM DB2)
Advanced Access Control Feature (of IBM DB2)
Performance Optimization Feature (of IBM DB2)

Does anyone have any experience of what that means for a large scale setup with maybe 100 developers? Can we live without those addons?

What if I already have a licensed Oracle database, which is located on another subnet (which means slower traffic between RTC and database)? Should I consider skipping DB2 then and use the existing Oracle instead?

permanent link
jean-claude vauthier (22634856) | answered Dec 16 '10, 10:44 a.m.
Hello,

I'm not sure I have understood your question. If you have a valid client licence, you shoud be able to use DB2 Workgroup for free.

A followup question on this:

I read in the license documents that if I buy license for RTC 3 I will get license for DB2 Enterprise edition to use with RTC, but I cant use any of these addons (unless I pay for those licenses and there will probably only be money to cover the RTC licenses):

Prohibited Components

Notwithstanding any provision in the Agreement, Licensee is not authorized to use any of the following components or functions of the Program:
Storage Optimization Feature (of IBM DB2)
Geodetic Data Management Feature (of IBM DB2)
Homogeneous Replication Feature (of IBM DB2)
Advanced Access Control Feature (of IBM DB2)
Performance Optimization Feature (of IBM DB2)

Does anyone have any experience of what that means for a large scale setup with maybe 100 developers? Can we live without those addons?

What if I already have a licensed Oracle database, which is located on another subnet (which means slower traffic between RTC and database)? Should I consider skipping DB2 then and use the existing Oracle instead?

permanent link
Gabriel Jonsson (10644) | answered Dec 16 '10, 12:43 p.m.
I don't have the license right now. My boss will order the licenses when he's convinced that the setup will have adequate performance to support a large number of developers in real projects.

Right now my boss is a bit concerned after reading the section i quoted earlier, about not getting the disk space and performance optimization addons. Are we likely to find orselves in the situation that we must buy the DB2 addons later, because the performance will be too poor otherwise?

In short: My task is now to "find out if the version of DB2 that comes with no extra cost when you buy RTC will be good enough for 50-100 developers", and therefore i want to hear what other large scale RTC+DB2 users has to say about that.

permanent link
jean-claude vauthier (22634856) | answered Dec 17 '10, 6:23 a.m.
Hello Gabriel,

I have got the opportunity to deploy RQM and RTC with DB2 workgroup for teams of more than 50 users on real projects. Until now I have not got any complain.

Maybe, you should create a new topic in the forum to get some more feedback.

Jean-Claude

I don't have the license right now. My boss will order the licenses when he's convinced that the setup will have adequate performance to support a large number of developers in real projects.

Right now my boss is a bit concerned after reading the section i quoted earlier, about not getting the disk space and performance optimization addons. Are we likely to find orselves in the situation that we must buy the DB2 addons later, because the performance will be too poor otherwise?

In short: My task is now to "find out if the version of DB2 that comes with no extra cost when you buy RTC will be good enough for 50-100 developers", and therefore i want to hear what other large scale RTC+DB2 users has to say about that.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.