It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Confusion on permissions an hierarchical teams

Daniel Cox (4261168) | asked Nov 15 '10, 2:58 p.m.
The article here on permissions (and the article it points to):

http://jazz.net/library/article/291

Lead me to believe that when I have the following:

1. Project 1 with Role Z and default team in Project 1 has all permissions for work items for Role Z, only partial permissions for default role
2. Team A - no process customization override
3. Team A' - child of team A with no process customization override
4. User Lambda - member only of Team A' and is in the "Z" role for that team

I should be able to do all work item operations as user Lambda. Unfortunately this appears to not be the case. Instead I get permissions errors showing that it is run in the context of Project 1 for the default role.
Am I missing something?

I'm on 2.0.0.2 iFix 4 if that makes a difference.

5 answers

permanent link
Parker Dunton (4064) | answered Nov 15 '10, 5:52 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

Which process template are you using?

Parker

permanent link
Daniel Cox (4261168) | answered Nov 15 '10, 5:53 p.m.
We have a somewhat customized version of the eclipse process that we've migrated from 1.x.

permanent link
Parker Dunton (4064) | answered Nov 15 '10, 6:31 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I believe the issue here may have to do with your work items configuration. Assigning User Lambda the Role Z in Team A' only gives them permissions for work items which are associated with Team A' and any inheriting team areas.

You would not be able to do all work item operations as User Lambda for work items associated with Team A or Project 1. By default, new work item categories are associated with the project area, so you may need to specifically associate your categories with your team areas. You can do this from the Work Item Categories tab in the project area editor.

Hope this helps,
Parker

permanent link
Daniel Cox (4261168) | answered Nov 15 '10, 10:21 p.m.
I thought I had tried this to make sure it was not the issue. I did it again and you are correct. Does user Lambda's role in A' apply to other permissions outside of work items - and it is only work items that share the additional context of which category the work item is being filed against?

permanent link
Parker Dunton (4064) | answered Nov 16 '10, 4:48 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
If I understand your question correctly, the answer is yes. Most Jazz artifacts can be associated with a team area (like Streams, Iteration Plans, Build Engines/Definitions, and Work Item Categories as you saw) and so permissions would work the same way for those things.

Parker

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.