It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

[closed] Backlog Iteration

Chris Barlock (18814738) | asked Nov 02 '10, 6:59 p.m.
closed Aug 27 '16, 1:31 p.m. by Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646)
I was reading about the Backlog Iteration setting in the Project Area Process Configuration. It says:

Work Items with the 'Planned For' attribute set to the iteration marked 'backlog iteration' appear on the backlog plan. Per timeline you can mark one iteration as the backlog iteration.

What does RTC actually do with this information? We had created an iteration & plan named Product Backlog long before I learned about this setting & I think the behavior was just as described above without naming a backlog iteration.

Chris

The question has been closed for the following reason: "The question is answered, right answer was accepted" by rschoon Aug 27 '16, 1:31 p.m.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Dorian Daumiller (3612) | answered Aug 25 '15, 11:35 a.m.
While this is an old question, it is nevertheless one of the first hits one finds when searching for the meaning of the Backlog mark.

So after a little research in RTC 5.0.2, I found these additional aspects:
  • The "Current Plans" view will show all plans for any Iteration that is marked as "current" plus the Backlog iteration(s)
  • The new "QuickPlanner" provides a feature to "Triage to Backlog", for which to work you need a known Backlog iteration (as opposed to an iteration called "Backlog")

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

6 other answers

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k24247) | answered Nov 03 '10, 5:02 a.m.
I was reading about the Backlog Iteration setting in the Project Area Process Configuration. It says:

Work Items with the 'Planned For' attribute set to the iteration marked 'backlog iteration' appear on the backlog plan. Per timeline you can mark one iteration as the backlog iteration.

What does RTC actually do with this information? We had created an iteration & plan named Product Backlog long before I learned about this setting & I think the behavior was just as described above without naming a backlog iteration.

Chris

Hey Chris,

The type of plan has some preconfigured views (like work break down) and some filters. The idea is that all plan types are not the same and it may differ which things you want to see where or perhaps even which workitems you want where. This can be additioanlly limited by using iteration types and setting a type on your iteration making special permissions on rules apply for the time in your project lifecycle when you are in that particular iteration. Hope it makes sence :-)

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Feb 11 '13, 12:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, all it is used for is to initialize the plan type when you create a new plan (i.e. it creates a "product backlog" plan if you select the iteration that is declared to be the backlog iteration).   But you can easily just manually select "product backlog" as the type of your plan, so this doesn't save you any significant effort.

permanent link
Marion Kaiser (1) | answered Aug 26 '16, 5:58 a.m.
Hello All I need also some help on this:
In my current plan view I exactly miss that the backlog iteration plan is shown. Can you help?

permanent link
Dorian Daumiller (3612) | answered Aug 26 '16, 11:53 a.m.
Set the BacklogIteration in this dialog:

(Open Project area in e.g. Eclipse), then:
Process Configuration -> Project Configuration -> Configuration Data -> Planning -> General

In the list to the right, choose your backlog iteration and press the small backlog icon next to "Backlog Iteration"

permanent link
Marion Kaiser (1) | answered Aug 26 '16, 12:41 p.m.

Hello Dorian our backlog iteration is set

but any plan related to that does not show up in the wdiget Current plan view

permanent link
Marion Kaiser (1) | answered Aug 26 '16, 12:44 p.m.