It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Scrum plan types do not show when trying to create a plan

Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | asked Sep 10 '09, 3:37 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The Project Area is set to use the Scrum template. Work item categories are established and mapped to appropriate Team Areas. The Team Areas are set to inherit their process from their parent (Project Area).

When I create a new plan, I should see "Sprint Backlog", "Product Backlog", etc. However, I'm seeing the OpenUP names instead. I saw a comment somewhere that said the plan types were also affected by the timeline associated with the team area -- is that right? I could not figure out how the timeline setting would affect that (no properties I could find that would adjust this).

1. How do I get the right names to show up?
2. Are the plan behaviors identical (just the wrong name showing up)?

Thanks...Millard

12 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 11 '09, 8:39 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Millard,

can you make sure in the project overview tab you have indeed the scrum process template deployed for your project?
If that is the case you should find the plan types in the Process Configuration tab in Project Configuration>Configuration Data>Planning>Plan types.

I think you can only configure time lines and iterations for teams in the same project as the plan. I don't see how you could do something wrong here, provided you tried to create the plan in the right project.

Ralph

The Project Area is set to use the Scrum template. Work item categories are established and mapped to appropriate Team Areas. The Team Areas are set to inherit their process from their parent (Project Area).

When I create a new plan, I should see "Sprint Backlog", "Product Backlog", etc. However, I'm seeing the OpenUP names instead. I saw a comment somewhere that said the plan types were also affected by the timeline associated with the team area -- is that right? I could not figure out how the timeline setting would affect that (no properties I could find that would adjust this).

1. How do I get the right names to show up?
2. Are the plan behaviors identical (just the wrong name showing up)?

Thanks...Millard

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Sep 11 '09, 12:11 p.m.
The Project Overview tab, in the upper right section, very clearly claims that the Process Description is "Scrum". When I click on the link, it provides a web page that describes (sort of) the Scrum process.

I have a local jazz server that I use for testing and article stuff and it does provide the correct list of reports. It's Project Overview tab says "Scrum" also (looks exactly like the one that doesn't work correctly).

Our IT folks do the Project Area setup -- so if there are questions I should ask them, please let me know. Unfortunately, I don't have direct access to the server, so I'll need to relay information.

Thanks...Millard

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Sep 11 '09, 3:50 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Millard,

the scrum template has been completely changed in 2.0. The plan types did not exist in 1.0.

Did the administrators just updated from 1.0 to 2.0 and continued to use the old Scrum template? Please ask them to re deploy the new Scrum template and create a new project using that. Please check the plan types are correct in the new project.

Thanks,

Ralph

PS: Thanks for the great demonstrations on Scrum at Jazz.net and Techworks.

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Sep 11 '09, 8:19 p.m.

My pleasure, thanks for noticing.

It looks like the templates were _not_ updated as part of the 1.0.1 -> 2.0 upgrade. We're going to do a backup tomorrow and then push the new templates.

How much "danger" is there to existing Project Areas on the system? Should I rebuild/redo anything to make sure the changes are picked up? Rebuild the timelines or already made plans?

Thanks...Millard

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 12 '09, 4:35 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

My pleasure, thanks for noticing.

It looks like the templates were _not_ updated as part of the 1.0.1 -> 2.0 upgrade. We're going to do a backup tomorrow and then push the new templates.

How much "danger" is there to existing Project Areas on the system? Should I rebuild/redo anything to make sure the changes are picked up? Rebuild the timelines or already made plans?

Thanks...Millard

Hi

Did you use the "deploy the templates" option at any stage after upgrading. This loads the new 2.0 templates into the repository. Otherwise, the existing 1.0 templates will be the only ones available in your repo.

Deploying the new templates makes no changes to existing project areas. You need to manually alter the existing projects with any new capabilities from the 2.0 templates.

If you have modified the original templates and not changed the names of the template - you might overwrite the existing templates with the new 2.0 ones.

Finally, we noticed that our 1.0 templates did not appear on the list after the upgrade. This is only because there is now a language filter on the templates - setting it to all languages makes the old templates re-appear in the list. You need to set the language on your old process templates for them to appear for a specific language.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Sep 12 '09, 11:54 a.m.
Deploying the new templates makes no changes to existing project areas. You need to manually alter the existing projects with any new capabilities from the 2.0 templates.

Any instructions anywhere about how to manually alter existing projects? Is that just a copy/paste of a process xml file contents or is it a multi-step, stuff can go wrong at every turn sort of thing?

How easy to make a new Project Area, export the current data and import it into the new one? Would that pick up everything?

Since I didn't do the install/upgrade, I'm not sure how obvious it was that the templates needed to be deployed after the upgrade. If there aren't big giant red sections saying that you need to do this, there probably should be. Not much of an upgrade if that stuff isn't picked up also.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Sep 12 '09, 6:07 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Any instructions anywhere about how to manually alter existing projects? Is that just a copy/paste of a process xml file contents or is it a multi-step, stuff can go wrong at every turn sort of thing?

How easy to make a new Project Area, export the current data and import it into the new one? Would that pick up everything?

Since I didn't do the install/upgrade, I'm not sure how obvious it was that the templates needed to be deployed after the upgrade. If there aren't big giant red sections saying that you need to do this, there probably should be. Not much of an upgrade if that stuff isn't picked up also.

What I imagine most people don't want is an upgrade altering their process on a project "in-flight". But agree that that we should warn people that they might want to update their project process to take advantage of capabilities in the new 2.0 templates.

The upgrade process does make sure that existing projects behave as before after the upgrade, and it also alters the existing *templates* in that it makes sure they work on the new repository - but again, will not add new capabilities available in 2.0.

There is guidance on how to change an existing project instance here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/UpdateTemplatesAndProjectsFor20

The process is a manual one - you need to look at the new process templates, and add the bits you require into your existing project (or team) process.

There is also a work item that asks that this documentation be made more visible.

I recall seeing information about what happens to project templates and the project process instances somewhere in the upgrade notes, but don't have that to hand.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Martha (Ruby) Andrews (3.0k44251) | answered Sep 12 '09, 7:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Moving a project area to a new version of the template is not a trivial operation. The basic approach is as you suggested: deploy the 2.0 templates, make a project area with the latest version of the template, copy the changes.

I have been working on more specific guidance with this topic: https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/ProcessUpdateForExistingProjectAreas. BUT, I have recently been informed the instructions may not work due to changes in workflows between RTC 1.0 and RTC 2.0.

You can follow the discussion in this work item:
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/94372

Martha
Jazz Developer

What I imagine most people don't want is an upgrade altering their process on a project "in-flight". But agree that that we should warn people that they might want to update their project process to take advantage of capabilities in the new 2.0 templates.

The upgrade process does make sure that existing projects behave as before after the upgrade, and it also alters the existing *templates* in that it makes sure they work on the new repository - but again, will not add new capabilities available in 2.0.

There is guidance on how to change an existing project instance here:

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/UpdateTemplatesAndProjectsFor20

The process is a manual one - you need to look at the new process templates, and add the bits you require into your existing project (or team) process.

There is also a work item that asks that this documentation be made more visible.

I recall seeing information about what happens to project templates and the project process instances somewhere in the upgrade notes, but don't have that to hand.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Millard Ellingsworth (2.5k12431) | answered Sep 13 '09, 3:07 p.m.
@kesterto - agreed that I wouldn't want the upgrade process to just trounce all over my nicely customized process template, but we need a real story for how to incorporate these improvements to existing projects. It's a real barrier to upgrade, largely because people _should_ be constantly tweaking their process to reflect changes the team has agreed to -- and we don't want them afraid to upgrade to a newer version of the product.

@mandrew - thanks for the extra links and insights. Do you think it is the case that the "unchanged configuration" is in danger of not working based on the workflow concerns you note? We are fortunate enough to be very early in the process for our next release, so I can probably get away with a swap on the source (there have been no revisions so far) unless that case is in danger of not working also.

Thanks to both of you for sticking with this thread and helping me get this worked out. This will likely affect many teams using RTC (and working to move to 2.0) in my organization.

permanent link
Mark Ingebretson (58515236) | answered Sep 13 '09, 9:33 p.m.
millarde wrote:
@kesterto - agreed that I wouldn't want the upgrade process to just
trounce all over my nicely customized process template, but we need a
real story for how to incorporate these improvements to existing
projects. It's a real barrier to upgrade, largely because people
_should_ be constantly tweaking their process to reflect changes the
team has agreed to -- and we don't want them afraid to upgrade to a
newer version of the product.

@mandrew - thanks for the extra links and insights. Do you think it
is the case that the "unchanged configuration" is in danger
of not working based on the workflow concerns you note? We are
fortunate enough to be very early in the process for our next
release, so I can probably get away with a swap on the source (there
have been no revisions so far) unless that case is in danger of not
working also.

Thanks to both of you for sticking with this thread and helping me get
this worked out. This will likely affect many teams using RTC (and
working to move to 2.0) in my organization.

Hi Millard,

We've spent a lot of time since 2.0 GA trying to merge Scrum 2.0 changes
into our process configuration which is based on Scrum 1.0. Let me know
if you want to discuss.

You might take a look at work item 94249. I'm fairly sure that applying
the Scrum 2.0 process template to a Scrum 1.0 database, even if there
have been no modifications made, which has been upgraded from RTC 1.0 to
RTC 2.0, will result in a database with problems.

Mark Ingebretson

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.