It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to get Estimates vs. Actual Report

Swati Pekam (11) | asked Oct 30 '10, 1:02 a.m.
I want to know how to get the correct Estimate vs. Actual effort report.
I need help in preparing data for generating this report.

Say for eg: For a task, I assign 9hrs of estimate. However I needed 12 hrs to complete it.
So
Estimate ; 9 hrs
Actual 12 hrs

Now what I do, in RTC, while estimating I put 9hrs in the estimate field. Once 12hrs are done, i would put in the time remaining as 0 hrs and mark the task as Done.
Now the process being followed is incorrect.
What is the correct method, to get proper data for generating the report.

Please advise.

One answer

permanent link
Kim Soederhamn (1.5k24247) | answered Nov 01 '10, 8:21 a.m.
I want to know how to get the correct Estimate vs. Actual effort report.
I need help in preparing data for generating this report.

Say for eg: For a task, I assign 9hrs of estimate. However I needed 12 hrs to complete it.
So
Estimate ; 9 hrs
Actual 12 hrs

Now what I do, in RTC, while estimating I put 9hrs in the estimate field. Once 12hrs are done, i would put in the time remaining as 0 hrs and mark the task as Done.
Now the process being followed is incorrect.
What is the correct method, to get proper data for generating the report.

Please advise.

I'm not sure if Im missing something - but you are not mentioning the correction field - this is the 3rd field used for time, estimates and so on.

If you estimate you task to 9 hours and then later realize its actually 12 h then you should write 12 h in the correction field - I would assume the report is comparing these 2 values.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.