It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Improve Command Line Adapter Logging

Markus Nosse (15112828) | asked Sep 09 '10, 9:59 a.m.
Hi All,

we use the command line adapter (CLA) heavily. As long as everything works as expected, the adapter is of great help. However, if problems occur it is hard to understand what is causing the problem: the test case, the adapter, adapter-to-server communications, ...

Are there any options to make the command line adapter log more detailed information, including the test case which is about to be executed?

If not, would it be possible to file an enhancement request?

Thanks,
Markus

4 answers

permanent link
Kurtis Martin (1.4k11) | answered Sep 09 '10, 12:42 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I know there's a log4j.properties file in the folder with the CLA. Where you can increase the log levels of adapter.library and adapter.commandline compontents from INFO to DEBUG. That sometimes helps in debugging problems, however it produces a lot of XML-ish log data which isnt' very useful to end-users and I don't think it provides the name of the test case that is being executed by the adapter. You should probably create an enhancement request in the RQM project on jazz.net.

permanent link
Patrick Van Zandt (1.2k1) | answered Sep 09 '10, 1:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
would it be possible to file an enhancement request?

https://jazz.net/jazz02/web/projects/Rational%20Quality%20Manager#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.newWorkItem&type=enhancement

Set "filed against" to "Command Line Adapter" (it is listed as a subitem of "Execution Framework").

permanent link
Markus Nosse (15112828) | answered Sep 10 '10, 3:57 a.m.
Kurtis,

thanks a lot for your answer. I have seen the log4j.properties file, and also changed the log levels, but as you point out, the amount of information logged is increased, but some relevant pieces of data are still missing (like test case name).

Regards,
Markus

permanent link
Markus Nosse (15112828) | answered Sep 10 '10, 4:42 a.m.
Patrick,

thanks for the pointer. I just created an enhancement request for this topic. See enhancement 38663.

Regards,
Markus

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.