It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Relocate repository URL of an existing workspace

Marco Cicolini (2622) | asked Aug 27 '10, 11:50 a.m.
hey,

We changed the URL of our RTC server so that we can connect RQM and RTC (both run on the same host).

Before moving to the new server we need to have a way to relocate the URL in the workspaces to the new server.

Currently when i connect to the new RTC server and disconnect the old one, my workspace is disconnected as well. If possible we would like to do that without setting up new workspaces for everybody.

Is there way to change the repository URL of an existing workspace?

cheers & thanks
marco

9 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 30 '10, 4:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Marco,

I am assuming you talk about the Eclipse workspace.

You can either create a new repository connection or change the connection's properties. To do the latter: in the Team Artefacts view select the repository connection and then right click it. Open the Properties. Review the properties. The URL should be changeable.

Ralph

hey,

We changed the URL of our RTC server so that we can connect RQM and RTC (both run on the same host).

Before moving to the new server we need to have a way to relocate the URL in the workspaces to the new server.

Currently when i connect to the new RTC server and disconnect the old one, my workspace is disconnected as well. If possible we would like to do that without setting up new workspaces for everybody.

Is there way to change the repository URL of an existing workspace?

cheers & thanks
marco

permanent link
Marco Cicolini (2622) | answered Aug 31 '10, 1:36 a.m.
Hey Ralph,

I mean the rtc source control workspace, and i tried your solution. Which does not work for what i am looking for. After chaning the repository connection, the source control workspace remains linked to the original repository.

So i still need to change the repository URL of the source control workspace, i thought using the command line tool:
scm change-target workspace [options] <workspace> <target>

But i am not sure if that is really what i am looking for. Well i will see after trying ;)

cheers
marco

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 31 '10, 2:06 a.m.
Hi Marco,

I am not sure I understand your use case. I therefore assume you want to change your host name of the RTC server.

I am not sure this can be done in all situations because of 2. below.

So here some thoughts on changing the host name of the server that comes into my mind (I really haven't tried it with all consequences):

1. In the advanced server properties there is a hostname and the URI root. Both have influence on the host name part of the URL's that are returned in several places. For instance events and other URL'S are composed using this data. If you need to change your host name you probably want to change these.

2. URL's/Links that are stored in the repository are stored with the URL that was available at the time of storage. I would assume issues with these links when changing the host name. In general the approach I took at my machines what to provide an alias for the server rather than using the specific host name. For instance I used rtcserver1.example.com. I assume this can be supported via DNS as well. In this case RQM could be kept rqmserver1.example.com regardless what the machine it was installed on was named.
I talked to development and this apparently is the reason why we can't yet support migrating multiple deployed servers into one deployed work bench. You might run into this issue. The only chance you have is to try 1. and look if all is still working. You should look into the streams, repository workspaces, work item URL's, links between work items and change sets and events.

3. the change-target changes the flow target of a repository workspace (not its URL). You need to have a stream with the right URL first (and the stream needs to know its new URL - see 1 above) and then change the flow target for the repository workspace. However the repository workspace will have a URL as well. I guess you need to make sure it knows the right URL after you did 1. above or you would have to recreate it with the right URL. Not sure if creating a snapshot and recreating the repository workspace from it would work.

Just some thoughts. Maybe some input from other development resources?

Ralph

Hey Ralph,

I mean the rtc source control workspace, and i tried your solution. Which does not work for what i am looking for. After chaning the repository connection, the source control workspace remains linked to the original repository.

So i still need to change the repository URL of the source control workspace, i thought using the command line tool:
scm change-target workspace [options] <workspace> <target>

But i am not sure if that is really what i am looking for. Well i will see after trying ;)

cheers
marco

permanent link
Marco Cicolini (2622) | answered Aug 31 '10, 3:00 a.m.
hey,

Thanks for the answer :)

Your assumption is right. Here is a clarification of what we have to do/did.

First we had an installation of RTC on a host (jazz.hostname.com:9443/jazz). After working on that machine RQM was installed as well on this machine (jazz.hostname.com:9444/jazz). jazz.hostname.com is already a DNS alias.

This led to the problem that from within the browser login into the appliactions (RQM or RTC) overwrites the cookies from the previous logins on the other application, i think this is well known issue.

Therefore we started to migrate and setup a two new DNS aliases:
rtc.hostname.com --> RTC Server
rqm.hostname.com --> RQM Server
To clarify, the physical machine behind the DNS is still the same and currently we have two DNS aliases pointing to the same RTC server:
rtc.hostname.com
jazz.hostname.com
Do not know if this is a problem (at least RTC behaves a bit strange sometimes)

Since we are in the middle of developing we planned to switch by 'changing' the repository URL of the source control repositories without having the developers to commit all local changes into the stream. So i hoped we could change somehow the URI of the scm workspaces.

I am going to try your first idea, i have to talk to the RTC administrator since i have no access to the advanced server tab.

Thanks for your help, i hope this works.

cheers
marco

permanent link
Marco Cicolini (2622) | answered Aug 31 '10, 3:06 a.m.
I just saw, that on the workspace properties (hit enter when a source control workspace is selcected) there is a dropdown to choose the server like this:
Repository: username@rtc.server.com

Unfortunately this is not changeable, maybe because of my permissions.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 31 '10, 3:09 a.m.
Hi Marco,

You wrote about having two DNS entries
rtc.hostname.com
jazz.hostname.com

This is no problem per se if the URI root and host name used is set at the beginning of a project - I do that all the time.

I am however not sure it is possible to change these values and have no issues with the URL's. I'd strongly suggest to try that on a testmachine and test it thoroughly before doing that in production!!!!

Ralph

hey,

Thanks for the answer :)

Your assumption is right. Here is a clarification of what we have to do/did.

First we had an installation of RTC on a host (jazz.hostname.com:9443/jazz). After working on that machine RQM was installed as well on this machine (jazz.hostname.com:9444/jazz). jazz.hostname.com is already a DNS alias.

This led to the problem that from within the browser login into the appliactions (RQM or RTC) overwrites the cookies from the previous logins on the other application, i think this is well known issue.

Therefore we started to migrate and setup a two new DNS aliases:
rtc.hostname.com --> RTC Server
rqm.hostname.com --> RQM Server
To clarify, the physical machine behind the DNS is still the same and currently we have two DNS aliases pointing to the same RTC server:
rtc.hostname.com
jazz.hostname.com

Since we are in the middle of developing we planned to switch by 'changing' the repository URL of the source control repositories without having the developers to commit all local changes into the stream. So i hoped we could change somehow the URI of the scm workspaces.

I am going to try your first idea, i have to talk to the RTC administrator since i have no access to the advanced server tab.

Thanks for your help, i hope this works.

cheers
marco

permanent link
Marco Cicolini (2622) | answered Aug 31 '10, 7:39 a.m.
some updates.
The changing the URI of the workspace works, if i change the URI of the repository.

We still have the problem, that the eclipse projects connect to the old URI:
project properties -> Jazz Source Control

Where is this information stored (the repository URI of an eclipse project)? IT is a bit strange, since even after reloading the eclipse projects this URI stays as it is, even if the workspace has the new URI now.

thanks,
marco

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 31 '10, 8:35 a.m.
Marco,

that information is stored in the repository connection. See my first reply.

Ralph

some updates.
The changing the URI of the workspace works, if i change the URI of the repository.

We still have the problem, that the eclipse projects connect to the old URI:
project properties -> Jazz Source Control

Where is this information stored (the repository URI of an eclipse project)? IT is a bit strange, since even after reloading the eclipse projects this URI stays as it is, even if the workspace has the new URI now.

thanks,
marco

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 31 '10, 10:49 a.m.
A terminological note:

To avoid confusion, it is important to use the standard terminology.
By "rtc source control workspace", I assume you mean a "repository
workspace", i.e. the object that lives on the server? Another important
object is the "sandbox", which is the projection ("load") of a
repository workspace into the file system. And then to confuse things,
there is the "Eclipse workspace", which can be associated with an
arbitrary number of repository workspaces, and which has a default
sandbox (located under to root directory of the Eclipse workspace) but
can be associated with an arbitrary number of additional sandboxes.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 8/31/2010 1:37 AM, mcico wrote:
Hey Ralph,

I mean the rtc source control workspace, and i tried your solution.
Which does not work for what i am looking for. After chaning the
repository connection, the source control workspace remains linked to
the original repository.

So i still need to change the repository URL of the source control
workspace, i thought using the command line tool:
scm change-target workspace
workspace> <target
But i am not sure if that is really what i am looking for. Well i will
see after trying ;)

cheers
marco

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.