It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

how to compare two files?

jiangfan shi (7613) | asked Aug 02 '10, 4:53 p.m.
The file name is same. One is in unresolved folder, and another one is in an incoming folder.

Thanks,

Jiangfan

9 answers

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Aug 03 '10, 9:04 a.m.
The file name is same. One is in unresolved folder, and another one is in an incoming folder.

In pending changes double click on one of the file (does not matter if the one from incoming or outgoing).
Does it help for you?

permanent link
jiangfan shi (7613) | answered Aug 10 '10, 10:56 a.m.
It does not help. Let's say the original version in local machine is A, and A' is the one in the unsolved folder and A'' is the one in the incoming folder. I double click on both files, which shows the comparison (A',A) and (A'',A). There is no comparison between (A'',A').

Then I tried to check in A' to an outgoing folder, and double click it. There result is no change. There is no a comparison between (A'',A').

Any suggestions or this is just the way it is in RTC.

Best,

Jiangfan

In pending changes double click on one of the file (does not matter if the one from incoming or outgoing).
Does it help for you?

permanent link
Krzysztof Kaźmierczyk (7.4k375103) | answered Aug 10 '10, 11:23 a.m.
It does not help. Let's say the original version in local machine is A, and A' is the one in the unsolved folder and A'' is the one in the incoming folder. I double click on both files, which shows the comparison (A',A) and (A'',A). There is no comparison between (A'',A').

Then I tried to check in A' to an outgoing folder, and double click it. There result is no change. There is no a comparison between (A'',A').

Best,

Jiangfan

Does it help for you?

Did you try to single click on A' and ctrl + right click on A'' and choose from menu "compare with each other"? I think it should help :)

permanent link
jiangfan shi (7613) | answered Aug 11 '10, 11:08 a.m.
I tried the ctrl to choose A' and A'', and right click them, there is no menu "compare each other". There is a menu "Open in Compare Editor" which seems to compare A'' and A.

By the way I am using Jazz in Visual Studio 2005. I am not sure if that is the reason. Or Jazz does not have such comparison function.

Thanks.

Jiangfan

Best,

Jiangfan

Does it help for you?

Did you try to single click on A' and ctrl + right click on A'' and choose from menu "compare with each other"? I think it should help :)

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Aug 12 '10, 9:54 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I tried the ctrl to choose A' and A'', and right click them, there is no menu "compare each other". There is a menu "Open in Compare Editor" which seems to compare A'' and A.

By the way I am using Jazz in Visual Studio 2005. I am not sure if that is the reason. Or Jazz does not have such comparison function.

Thanks.

Jiangfan

Best,

Jiangfan

Does it help for you?

Hi,
I do not know what your usecase is, but do you not want to accept the incoming changes? Because if you do, then it becomes a simple comparison between your local version and the accepted one.
As a developer, I would typically accept all incoming changes, since my changes should conform to the new state of the file, or rather the latest state of the stream. So if there is an incoming change, and I am also changing the same file, I need to merge my changes to the incoming ones.

This is how comparison is done:
* A Compare on unresolved file - compares local unchecked-in file with that in repository workspace
* A Compare on checked-in file - Compares it with the previous state in the repository workspace
* A Compare on incoming file - This change is not there in our repository workspace yet (hence incoming). So this is compared with the previous state in the repository.

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered Aug 13 '10, 8:42 a.m.
This functionality is not currently present in Visual studio client.
I have created an enhancement request for the same.

https://jazzdev.torolab.ibm.com:9443/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/126285

Prabodh

permanent link
SEC Servizi (97123660) | answered Oct 10 '11, 7:12 a.m.

This is how comparison is done:
* A Compare on unresolved file - compares local unchecked-in file with that in repository workspace
* A Compare on checked-in file - Compares it with the previous state in the repository workspace
* A Compare on incoming file - This change is not there in our repository workspace yet (hence incoming). So this is compared with the previous state in the repository.

We are using the RTC Client for Eclipse IDE 2.0.0.2 iFix 6. For instance, we checked-in a Java file, but we did not deliver it yet.
If we use the context menu option Open in Compare Editor, the sources compared are the local file (in the Sandbox) and the remote file (in the Stream), as we expect.
But, the Java Source Compare view shows the Repository Workspace name instead of the Stream name. Is it only a bug?

Cheers.

permanent link
Kaushambi Singh (371310379) | answered May 16 '12, 11:55 a.m.
RTC 3.0 client installed as a plugin to VS 2010 shows many a times java.lang.OutofMemoryError . How to resolve this ?

permanent link
Prabodh Mairh (3812) | answered May 22 '12, 5:22 a.m.
RTC 3.0 client installed as a plugin to VS 2010 shows many a times java.lang.OutofMemoryError . How to resolve this ?

Do you get OOM for some specific operation? Does it happen when VS is idle, or when some operation is being performed?
Can you please attach the logs when you encounter this issue next.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.