It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Installing 1.0M5a and WTP/WST

Jim Steinberger (4174) | asked Mar 18 '08, 3:08 a.m.
Hello,

Has anyone gotten 1.0M5a to work with WST/WTP (Eclipse Web Standard Tools / Web Tools Platform) on Vista? I started today with 0.6 Beta2 installed. Migrated the repository and upgraded Jazz server to 1.0M5a, and have now been trying to upgrade the client for the last five hours.

I uninstalled TeamConcert 0.6 Beta2 via the Installation Manager, per the docs, and then unpacked the 1.0M5a client and ran install.exe. This installed fine, and I can open the same Eclipse workspace, but my project is managed via Eclipse's Web Tools Project, so I tried to install that via the Europa update site. Now, when I try to start TeamConcert, the splash screen comes up for a moment and then disappears, replaced with: "An error has occurred. See the log file ...\configuration\....log" Here's the beginning of one such log file:

!SESSION 2008-03-18 02:43:32.302 -----------------------------------------------
eclipse.buildId=unknown
java.fullversion=J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Windows Vista x86-32 j9vmwi3223-20070426 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20070420_12448_lHdSMR
JIT - 20070419_1806_r8
GC - 200704_19
BootLoader constants: OS=win32, ARCH=x86, WS=win32, NL=en_US
Command-line arguments: -os win32 -ws win32 -arch x86

!ENTRY org.eclipse.core.runtime 4 0 2008-03-18 02:43:35.154
!MESSAGE
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: The bundle could not be resolved. Reason: Missing Constraint: Require-Bundle: org.eclipse.core.jobs; bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)"
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:305)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.resume(AbstractBundle.java:350)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.Framework.resumeBundle(Framework.java:1118)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.resumeBundles(StartLevelManager.java:634)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.incFWSL(StartLevelManager.java:508)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.doSetStartLevel(StartLevelManager.java:282)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.StartLevelManager.dispatchEvent(StartLevelManager.java:468)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager.dispatchEvent(EventManager.java:195)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.eventmgr.EventManager$EventThread.run(EventManager.java:297)

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2008-03-18 02:43:35.167
!MESSAGE Bundle initial@reference:file:../../../../Program Files/IBM/SDP70Shared/plugins/org.eclipse.core.runtime_3.3.100.v20070530.jar/ was not resolved.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2008-03-18 02:43:35.176
!MESSAGE Application error
!STACK 1
java.lang.IllegalStateException: Unable to acquire application service. Ensure that the org.eclipse.core.runtime bundle is resolved and started (see config.ini).
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseAppLauncher.start(EclipseAppLauncher.java:72)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:363)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.adaptor.EclipseStarter.run(EclipseStarter.java:176)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:615)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.invokeFramework(Main.java:508)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.basicRun(Main.java:447)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.run(Main.java:1173)
at org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.Main.main(Main.java:1148)

This is followed by hundreds of "Missing required bundle ..." messages. I've tried reinstalling TeamConcert, using a brand new workspace, reinstalling both TeamConcert and the Installation Manager (blowing out ...\Program Files\IBM" completely before reinstalling), installing TeamConcert outside the Program Files directory, installing updates while running TC as administrator.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Jim

7 answers

permanent link
Jim Steinberger (4174) | answered Mar 18 '08, 10:04 a.m.
I tried rolling back to Beta2, installing WTP (via the Europa update site) on a fresh installation, and am still unable to start the client once WTP is installed.

When I look in .../workspace/.metadata/.log, I see a bunch of exceptions related to not being able to load things/bundles, all having the same root cause:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: org.apache.log4j.Category
at java.lang.ClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClassInternal(BundleLoader.java:429)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:369)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleLoader.findClass(BundleLoader.java:357)
at org.eclipse.osgi.internal.baseadaptor.DefaultClassLoader.loadClass(DefaultClassLoader.java:83)
at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(Unknown Source)
... 108 more

permanent link
Jim Steinberger (4174) | answered Mar 18 '08, 10:20 a.m.
Tried adding the "-clean" flag to the TeamConcert shortcut, and things started up okay and things look okay. This is on my rolled back beta2 -- when I get another opportunity I'll try to confirm that this would have resolved my 1.0M5a issue as well.

permanent link
James Stuckey (63634) | answered Mar 18 '08, 1:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Yesterday I saw this happen to someone locally after installing 1.0M5a
and adding an additional feature via the update manager. Starting with
-clean resolved the issue for them as well, so I believe that should
work fine.

What the errors seem to indicate (to me anyway) is that the modified
commons logging bundle (which has a require bundle on log4j) we include
in the plugins directory is getting left out of the configuration.
Starting with -clean results in the configuration being recomputed and
RTC starts normally.

I've opened
https://jazz.net/jazz/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/47746
for this issue.

-James

RTC Install Team

steinberger wrote:
Tried adding the "-clean" flag to the TeamConcert shortcut,
and things started up okay and things look okay. This is on my
rolled back beta2 -- when I get another opportunity I'll try to
confirm that this would have resolved my 1.0M5a issue as well.

permanent link
Jim Steinberger (4174) | answered Mar 18 '08, 4:24 p.m.
-clean got me started, but I've since been finding that any time I work with that added feature (WTP), memory-usage explodes and I inevitably and quickly get an OutOfMemory (PermGen) error, even after increasing PermGen to 256m.

permanent link
James Stuckey (63634) | answered Mar 18 '08, 8:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
steinberger wrote:
-clean got me started, but I've since been finding that any time I
work with that added feature (WTP), memory-usage explodes and I
inevitably and quickly get an OutOfMemory (PermGen) error, even after
increasing PermGen to 256m.

Are you sure it is not running out of heap? I believe heap max (-Xmx)
was lowered from 1024m to 512m between beta2 and m5a. You could change
it back by editing the eclipse.ini...

I attempted to follow the same steps that you did but I have not seen
any memory issues thus far. Here is what I did:

1. Installed 1.0 M5a using IM
2. Used the update manager to install the WTP feature. This required
that I use the 'Select Required' to add org.eclipse.xsd.edit and its
dependents. Install completed and I restarted.
3. RTC did fail as you described previously on the restart.
4. I Started RTC with -clean and it came up

I then created some web projects, html content, some servers, ...

What operation have you seen cause the memory usage to spiral out of
control?

-James

RTC Install

permanent link
Jim Steinberger (4174) | answered Mar 18 '08, 11:14 p.m.
James,

Thank you thank you thank you for running through that -- knowing that it must have been something on my end gave me the strength to give it another try.

We essentially did all the same steps, so I could only assume that somehow I wasn't running on a fresh install, hence the other thread I started.

Let me start by saying that I have things running smoothly now with Beta2 (:: knock on wood ::). As far as why that is, there are two variables:

1. A cleaner install: I deleted RTC and made sure that IBM Installation Manager was uninstalled and that there was no IBM folder in Program Files. That's as far as I went last time. The difference this time is I also cleared out the .eclipse folder inside my user directory, and I also noticed there was an IBM folder inside my user directory, as well, with Installation Manager artifacts inside. Vista's new virtualization approach to installing apps, and keeping Program Files read-only, was -- I'm blind-guessing -- why that folder was put there, and why it wasn't touched by the IM uninstall.

2. I installed WTP before connecting to the repository (before I was connecting to the repository first .. I think even loading the component first because I find satisfaction in watching the red error-markers go away after a feature install).

: throws up hands :

By the way, one other difference (besides the fact that this time everything starts up without the memory issues ), was that, before, the startup error took the form of the splash screen almost immediately crashing, with a small dialog "There was an error, check path/to/logfile". This time, the error took the form of RTC actually opening, but with red-circle error Xs in the views, and a larger popup complaining about not being able to load some views, etc. This leads me to think that the issue is #1 above, since my problem was so early in the start-up process. No idea about the memory issue.

I hope that info-dump helps /some/one :) After my next deadline I'll retry the upgrade, which I'm pretty sure would have worked had I known to try -clean when I was working with the 1.0M5a client.

Thanks again,
Jim

permanent link
Jim Laredo (1631) | answered Apr 25 '08, 12:32 a.m.
I had a similar problem - after I installed WST and its requirements (XSD and EMF) In preparation to install PHP support for Project Zero - Team Concert did not start and had the following stack trace.

!ENTRY org.eclipse.osgi 4 0 2008-04-24 23:59:22.031
!MESSAGE An error occurred while automatically activating bundle com.ibm.team.repository.client (218).
!STACK 0
org.osgi.framework.BundleException: Exception in com.ibm.team.repository.client.internal.TeamPlatformActivator.start() of bundle com.ibm.team.repository.client.
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.startActivator(BundleContextImpl.java:1018)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleContextImpl.start(BundleContextImpl.java:974)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.BundleHost.startWorker(BundleHost.java:346)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.internal.core.AbstractBundle.start(AbstractBundle.java:260)
at org.eclipse.osgi.framework.util.SecureAction.start(SecureAction.java:400)
at org.eclipse.core.runtime.internal.adaptor.EclipseLazyStarter.postFindLocalClass(EclipseLazyStarter.java:111)
at org.eclipse.osgi.baseadaptor.loader.ClasspathManager.findLocalClass(ClasspathManager.java:417)

It all worked well when I used the advised -clean flag upon eclipse startup

Jim

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.