It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can we install RRC and DB2 9.5 on the same server ?

anoop mc (74811200221) | asked Jul 28 '10, 1:04 p.m.
Hi,

I happened to see one of the line

"The machine that you wish to use as the database server can be different from the one on which the Rational Requirements Composer 2.0 Server is running. "

Is this because of performance issues for testing purpose I am planning to get this done on the same machine.

Did anyone tried and faced any issues

2 answers

permanent link
Benjamin Silverman (4.1k610) | answered Jul 29 '10, 5:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can certainly install RRC on the same machine as your DB2 server for testing. You can also use Derby if you are just starting out and want to focus your efforts on functionality rather than load testing. Hope it helps,

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Aug 09 '10, 6:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

I happened to see one of the line

"The machine that you wish to use as the database server can be different from the one on which the Rational Requirements Composer 2.0 Server is running. "

Is this because of performance issues for testing purpose I am planning to get this done on the same machine.

Did anyone tried and faced any issues

Most people when they demonstrate RRC are using a single machine, with database (DB2 or derby), RRC server (Tomcat) and client all running on the same machine. This works well for smaller number of users and data, than a full enterprise deployment. For demo's we have at least 3Gbytes of memory.

The performance is best with the database server separate from the RRC server, see the white-paper summary below.

http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/rational/library/10/rrcperformanceandscalablitytestresults/index.html

Summary

The main performance bottleneck is the application server machine for various test runs with varying amounts of load. So it is better to use a dual-tier environment with the better-performing machine hosting the application server. In our tests, IBM DB2 and Oracle databases handled the user loads similarly. Therefore, use whichever database software that you and your customer are most comfortable with using. We also found that the performance of the application servers is similar for various user loads. We prefer the WebSphere server because of the enterprise needs (security and administration) of Rational Requirements Composer administrators, as well as its features for customized performance-tuning.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.