It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to change the Build Label format

Chris Abbott (7611412) | asked Jun 14 '10, 3:21 p.m.
Is it possible to define a custom Build Label formatting ?

We us a:
<main>.<major>.<minor>-<build> style number
(e.g. 01.00.21-0033)

Is there anyway to define this type of build number so the build machine automatically labels the builds the way we would like.

5 answers

permanent link
Marcel Kinard (71107) | answered Jun 15 '10, 10:00 a.m.
What I do is to generate build artifacts that have a filename in the custom format that I want, similar to what you describe. I store the build artifacts in the Build Result. But I leave the Build Result in its native label scheme.

permanent link
Chris Abbott (7611412) | answered Jun 15 '10, 11:06 a.m.
I agree there are many ways to create our own label, but it would be nice to use the same label for the build log, so things match, especially when you are looking at a list of builds.

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jun 16 '10, 11:01 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
See enhancement request 113599: Support property to specify build label format and the workaround mentioned there.

Even with that, there's no notion currently of a build number, just the timestamp (or possibly the build result UUID, but humans shouldn't be subjected to those).

permanent link
Chris Abbott (7611412) | answered Jun 18 '10, 7:47 a.m.
Thanks for the information, I have tried the workaround and this is working great, we use a custom tool to read our "label.cpp" file, increment the build number, update the time/date stamp, re-write the "label.cpp" file as well as a "label.cpp.properties" file which is then used to transfer the new label back to the build system.

So far, all is working great...

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jun 19 '10, 11:13 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Great, glad to hear. If there's anything you think we can provide in our tooling to make this easier for you, please feel free to open enhancement requests.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.