It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Visual Studios: How do I open a project / solution?

Seadna Long (1611) | asked Jun 04 '10, 4:28 a.m.
Ok so I'm fully connected, I'm connected to a Source Control Stream. I've created a Repository Workspace and have even connected to what I want to connect to.

But I haven't got anything in my solution explorer. I have a folder that I choose for my 'sandbox' that has downloaded the source code, but I'm not sure what to do next. The project is not loaded into the Solution Explorer and if I manually open it up, it doesn't seem like it's source controlled, but I really don't know.

I feel this area of Jazz / RTC is quite poorly documented. Obviously a great and thorough plugin of VS, but if I have no idea how to "check out" code that I was able to do so, so easily with SourceSafe and SVN then it's a bit wasted.

Can someone please help with this? It really is driving me crazy.

3 answers

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jun 04 '10, 6:06 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi, have you taken a look at the VS articles. We are working on more tutorials at the moment, but this should have most of what you needed to know to get started.

http://jazz.net/library/article/398#Visual_Studio_Considerations

Visual Studio requires you to add source control bindings to a solution before it can be saved in a source control system. Even when you've connected to an RTC repository workspace, you will have to open the solution and share it.

Let us know if the articles linked above help.

Jean-Michel

permanent link
Seadna Long (1611) | answered Jun 04 '10, 7:09 a.m.
Ok, so that's why all the docs talk about sharing your project rather than talking about 'checking anything out', is that it?

From the docs, it says to share a solution, I just
In order to store a solution that's on your file system into a Jazz repository, you'll need to share it using the Share Project(s) in Jazz from solution explorer's context menu.

yeah?

Unfortunately I don't have that option from the Solution's context menu. All I have is
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2960/04062010120749.png

Is something then wrong with my setup?

permanent link
Walter Mansur (63613017) | answered Jun 04 '10, 11:21 a.m.
Hi,

You did not mention which version of RTC you are using (a very helpful piece of information, by the way). I am going to assume that you are using RTC v2.0.0.2 (and possibly the latest iFix). For the record, we are using RTC v2.0.0.2 with iFix2.

I see that Team Concert is in the top-level menu bar and that usually means that you have the RTC/Visual Studio Integration set up correctly. However, I would recommend that you also check and make sure that the Source Control setting (under Tools->Options) is set to "Jazz Source Control". I am looking at the selections on the context menu in your image and I only see about one third of the choices that we have here when we right click on a Visual Studio Solution.

Let me know if this helps. The docs for RTC are pretty good. We used them for the basis of the "real world" documents that we created and use for RTC here at CareMedic Systems (now a part of Ingenix).

-Walter

Ok, so that's why all the docs talk about sharing your project rather than talking about 'checking anything out', is that it?

From the docs, it says to share a solution, I just
In order to store a solution that's on your file system into a Jazz repository, you'll need to share it using the Share Project(s) in Jazz from solution explorer's context menu.

yeah?

Unfortunately I don't have that option from the Solution's context menu. All I have is
http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/2960/04062010120749.png

Is something then wrong with my setup?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.