It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Java and RDP 7.6 vs. RTCp 2.0.0.2ifix1

Larry McCarthy (2102224) | asked Jun 03 '10, 1:46 a.m.
I can't find anyplace to create either an RDP or RTCp Defect WI (hint, hint), so I'll report it here...

RDP 7.6 comes with a 1.6/6.0 JDK. When you ask it to export an ant build file, it writes target=1.6 and source=1.6 properties to the build file.

By default, the IBM i build subsystem seems to use the "classic" 1.5 JDK (the latest I have installed on the IBM i). The build blows up when faced with the target=1.6 property. Putting an ant.build.javac.target=1.5 in the properties page of the Build definition doesn't override the build file, nor does a -D on the ant command line.

You probably ought to require a 1.6/6.0 JDK for the IBM i build subsystem for whatever versions (RDP 7.6 and RTCp 2.0.0.2ifix1 for sure, but there could be more combinations) have this incompatibility.

In the meantime, a couple of work-arounds are:

• Install the 1.6/6.0 JDK on your IBM i, and point ant's JAVA_HOME there in the Build Def'n, or
  • Hand-edit the ant build file from target/source=1.6 to 1.5 and deliver it back into the repo any time you generate (export) a new one.

And, there might be easier ways, but it's late...

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jun 03 '10, 5:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I can't find anyplace to create either an RDP or RTCp Defect WI (hint, hint), so I'll report it here...

RDP 7.6 comes with a 1.6/6.0 JDK. When you ask it to export an ant build file, it writes target=1.6 and source=1.6 properties to the build file.

By default, the IBM i build subsystem seems to use the "classic" 1.5 JDK (the latest I have installed on the IBM i). The build blows up when faced with the target=1.6 property. Putting an ant.build.javac.target=1.5 in the properties page of the Build definition doesn't override the build file, nor does a -D on the ant command line.

You probably ought to require a 1.6/6.0 JDK for the IBM i build subsystem for whatever versions (RDP 7.6 and RTCp 2.0.0.2ifix1 for sure, but there could be more combinations) have this incompatibility.

In the meantime, a couple of work-arounds are:

• Install the 1.6/6.0 JDK on your IBM i, and point ant's JAVA_HOME there in the Build Def'n, or
  • Hand-edit the ant build file from target/source=1.6 to 1.5 and deliver it back into the repo any time you generate (export) a new one.

And, there might be easier ways, but it's late...

Hi Larry

RDP is not yet on jazz.net (hint hint to RDP team :-) but RTCp is definitely here. Log your request at:

https://jazz.net/jazz07/web/projects/Enterprise%20Extensions%20for%20Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWelcome

regards

anthony

permanent link
Larry McCarthy (2102224) | answered Jun 03 '10, 3:30 p.m.
Thank, Anthony!

That'll be Defect 3620 in your songbooks, then.

- Larry.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.