It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC and RTC for Power Systems Software

Scott Dart (11) | asked May 25 '10, 4:54 p.m.
retagged Jun 23 '12, 5:44 p.m. by Arne Bister (2.6k12832)
Are "Rational Team Concert" and "Rational Team Concert for Power Systems" two different products? Or is the latter a subset of the former? Or something else?

I'm thinking that since we are developing for the iSeries in RPG and developing Windows (WPF) apps with Visual Studio, it might make sense to drop Team Foundation Server in favor of Rational Team Concert, *if* I can use it for both Visual Studio Projects AND for System i RPG ILE projects.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? Would I have to obtain two separate products, or would one RTC server allow me to store both Visual Studio and Rational Developer for Power projects?

2 answers

permanent link
Kushal Munir (126103) | answered May 27 '10, 5:18 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
"Rational Team Concert" (RTC) and "Rational Team Concert for Power Systems" (RTCp) are two separate products. RTCp is a superset of RTC. The RTCp repository allows you to store both RPG/COBOL source for IBM i and .NET and WPF source in Visual Studio. You need only one repository.

For RPG/COBOL on i, you will require Rational Developer for Power Systems Software (RDp) with the RTCp client. For the source in Visual Studio, you can use the Visual Studio client integration that RTC provides.

Are "Rational Team Concert" and "Rational Team Concert for Power Systems" two different products? Or is the latter a subset of the former? Or something else?

I'm thinking that since we are developing for the iSeries in RPG and developing Windows (WPF) apps with Visual Studio, it might make sense to drop Team Foundation Server in favor of Rational Team Concert, *if* I can use it for both Visual Studio Projects AND for System i RPG ILE projects.

Can anyone shed light on this for me? Would I have to obtain two separate products, or would one RTC server allow me to store both Visual Studio and Rational Developer for Power projects?

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered May 27 '10, 5:06 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Rational Team Concert for Power Systems is a superset of RTC.
I must admit that this isn't made abundantly clear on the project page or features page though: http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert-power/features/

I'll ask someone from the RTC/p team to answer your other questions.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.