It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

snapshot containing some components impacted other components pending changes

jeff tickner (51710) | asked Jul 30 '13, 9:27 a.m.
edited Jul 30 '13, 1:42 p.m. by Kevin Doyle (60425)
 First layout, there is a Dev/QA stream that developers deliver to, a UAT stream and a REF stream, and each stream has the same components representing the different source libraries.
A very large project got pulled into the Dev/QA stream, so large the builds failed every time, about 1800 members.
At the end the Dev/QA stream and build workspace were updated with all these changes but all the build attempts had failed so we worked around the build.
So now we wanted to update the UAT stream with these changes but not any subsequent changes.
So we found a snapshot from the Dev/QA build workspace that had the changes we wanted, this workspace has just the 2 updated components in it.
We grabbed a snapshot  on  the UAT stream and replaced the UAT stream with the snapshot from this Dev/QA build workspace.
We looked at the pending changes for the UAT stream and it looked just right with just changes showing from after the snapshot.

Now changes in Dev/QA stream are now not showing up in pending changes with the UAT stream for other components.
In pending changes there is a reference that components are not loaded.

When we were replacing the stream with the snapshot there was a dialog that popped about how disconnected components would not be replaced, which I thought was a reference to some of the components that are no longer used, I would guess that was a reference to the components not in the snapshot.

How would the snapshot from a build workspace that only contained 2 components affect other components in the stream and also impact pending changes for other streams?
Even changes made AFTER we did the replace on the UAT stream are not showing up in pending changes between Dev/QA and UAT.

Thanks for any advice or help you can provide!!

Comments
jeff tickner commented Jul 30 '13, 10:04 a.m.

I just checked the UAT stream under source control and now it only has the 2 components, so I guess I CAN'T replace the UAT stream with the snapshot with the 2 components I care about, I have to go back to the original snapshot and deal with the huge mess of pending changes

Accepted answer

permanent link
Tim Mok (6.6k38) | answered Jul 30 '13, 9:58 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I think I need a little clarification to see if I understand what happened.

There are 3 streams: Dev/QA, UAT, and REF

In Dev/QA, there were some big changes and they caused a build failure. You want to get those changes to UAT. So you used a snapshot from the Dev/QA build workspace, which only has the 2 components you want. You performed the replace on UAT with the snapshot and now changes in the other components don't show up.

It sounds like the snapshot you used only had a subset of the components that UAT has. When you perform a replace on the stream with a snapshot, it replaces everything. It makes the stream like the snapshot. Since the snapshot didn't have those other components, they were taken out. You'll have to add those components back. If you don't have a snapshot with the set of components that you want, I suggest adding the components one by one with the correct baseline that you want.
jeff tickner selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
jeff tickner commented Jul 30 '13, 11:53 a.m.

You are correct based on what I've seen.

Fortunately when I created the snapshot from the UAT stream I also took the option to create a baseline so I think I should have what I need to implement your suggestion.
Thanks for the help

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.