It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Can RTC Windows Server Work for SCM for System i ?

Hussain Nooruddin (3111) | asked Mar 16 '12, 8:48 a.m.
retagged Jun 24 '12, 4:15 a.m. by Arne Bister (2.6k12832)
Hello,

I want to use the RTC Windows Server for my System Source Control. Can i able to use this sort of thing. If i just install the Build ToolKit on System i and JAZZ SERVER will be on WINDOWS ?

Also want to integrate BUILD FORGE with this.

Thanks

8 answers

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Mar 16 '12, 9:38 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

I suggest that you take a look at the online documentation at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp.

Search on 'topoloy examples' and perhaps look at the Enterprise Topology example page.
This will hopefully clear things up.
Yes, you can put WAS and the server on a Windows machine, yes you can put the build toolkit on the IBMi machine. They talk to each other through a TCP connection on a defined port that you would set up. The doc that I pointed you to will give further explanation.

Guy

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Mar 16 '12, 9:51 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

IBMi is a supported operating system for running the server on. Also, as your posting suggests, even if you plan on building things to run on IBMi you do not have to run the server there if you don't want to.

Guy

permanent link
Hussain Nooruddin (3111) | answered Mar 16 '12, 10:09 a.m.
Hi

IBMi is a supported operating system for running the server on. Also, as your posting suggests, even if you plan on building things to run on IBMi you do not have to run the server there if you don't want to.

Guy

So Do i need to setup the WAS on System i or on Windows. ?

Well i just though that if i put the BUILD TOOL KIT there instead of installing on SERVER . Or complete RTC Setup is done on WINDOWS so is that work for the SOURCE control and other things ?

Thanks

permanent link
Jia Jia Li (8058157192) | answered Mar 16 '12, 11:53 a.m.
Hi

Guy

Well i just though that if i put the BUILD TOOL KIT there instead of installing on SERVER . Or complete RTC Setup is done on WINDOWS so is that work for the SOURCE control and other things ?

Thanks

I think you can install WAS on Windows for RTC server, and the build tool kit installed on System i. So RTC Server for source control and work item/plan, maybe you should use RDp for RPG editor/compile(ofcourse need one system i for compile), System i with build tool kit is for RTC build which may run one build agent.

permanent link
Hussain Nooruddin (3111) | answered Mar 16 '12, 12:19 p.m.
Hi

Guy

Thanks

I think you can install WAS on Windows for RTC server, and the build tool kit installed on System i. So RTC Server for source control and work item/plan, maybe you should use RDp for RPG editor/compile(ofcourse need one system i for compile), System i with build tool kit is for RTC build which may run one build agent.

sakulisalee . Yes offcourse RDp and RTc client will be use for compilation of codes and other things. But i Was Thinking If i put the Build Tool Kit and Agent on the System i . How these things intract with the Windows Server as the Sources are on Windows on Jazz repository and The actual compilation will be done on SYSTEM i.

Any configuration idea regarding this ?

Thanks

permanent link
Jia Jia Li (8058157192) | answered Mar 16 '12, 12:25 p.m.
Hi

Guy

Thanks

permanent link
Hussain Nooruddin (3111) | answered Mar 16 '12, 12:32 p.m.
sakulisalee . What you said i didn't got your Reply.

permanent link
Hussain Nooruddin (3111) | answered Mar 19 '12, 6:22 a.m.
Hi

I suggest that you take a look at the online documentation at http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/clmhelp/v3r0m1/index.jsp.

Search on 'topoloy examples' and perhaps look at the Enterprise Topology example page.
This will hopefully clear things up.
Yes, you can put WAS and the server on a Windows machine, yes you can put the build toolkit on the IBMi machine. They talk to each other through a TCP connection on a defined port that you would set up. The doc that I pointed you to will give further explanation.

Guy

thanks for all your help.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.