It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Changing values of complexity enumeration list

Kieron Brear (1461169) | asked May 11 '10, 5:52 p.m.
Hi,

In our project we'd like to change the scale used in the complexity enumeration list used for story points. The individual entries have been editted, but whenever the story points are totalled up in plans these calculations are still using the traditional values used in story points (1,2,3,5,8,13 etc). Is it possible to change the value used in the calculations, as well as the screen display?

Thanks,
Kieron

5 answers

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered May 19 '10, 6:52 a.m.
Bump

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered Jun 03 '10, 9:21 a.m.
I've created a defect for this.

permanent link
John Richard (1111) | answered Jun 09 '10, 11:52 a.m.
You can manually correct this problem by modifying the XML. Once you've made the change to the enumeration and saved switch over to the Project Configuration Source worksheet and search the XML for what you created. For example, I added "17 pts".

Here is what you will see:

literal id="complexity.literal.l7" name="17 pts"

You will need to modify it to look like this:

literal id="17" name="17 pts"

Once you have made this change you will need to go back to any Stories that used the value before the fix and change them to the updated value. Once this is done the new complexity will show in calculations.

permanent link
Kieron Brear (1461169) | answered Jun 10 '10, 5:51 a.m.
Richard,

Thanks for the advice. In the end, this is what I did. I had previously tested altering the id value, but the reseting of the story point value in the Stories had me worried that this was something going wrong in the database, so I stopped trying that method. Having checked with RTC via a defect, I now realise that this is the correct method and the extra step you describe is the normal process. I've now completed this change and modified all of our Stories.

Thanks.

permanent link
Diane Volkmar (6) | answered Jul 11 '11, 4:39 p.m.
You can manually correct this problem by modifying the XML. Once you've made the change to the enumeration and saved switch over to the Project Configuration Source worksheet and search the XML for what you created. For example, I added "17 pts".

Here is what you will see:

literal id="complexity.literal.l7" name="17 pts"

You will need to modify it to look like this:

literal id="17" name="17 pts"

Once you have made this change you will need to go back to any Stories that used the value before the fix and change them to the updated value. Once this is done the new complexity will show in calculations.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.