It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

export custom work items

Sam Smith (2142) | asked May 05 '10, 5:43 a.m.
Hi All,

If I have some customized work items in a project area on server A then is it possible to 'export' the definitions for these custom types across to a different project area on server B?

I've tried exporting/importing a process template but that doesn't seem to bring over the definitions of the customized work items.

Any help/advice is much appreciated :)

Cheers!

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 05 '10, 6:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sam,

what you can do today is create a process template from your customized process.
- From that template you can create new Projects that inherit your customizations.
- You can export the Template and import it on a different server, then create a project with your customizations.

Please note that configuring a project derived fro a template does not change the template. Therefore you have to create one first.

Ralph

Hi All,

If I have some customized work items in a project area on server A then is it possible to 'export' the definitions for these custom types across to a different project area on server B?

I've tried exporting/importing a process template but that doesn't seem to bring over the definitions of the customized work items.

Any help/advice is much appreciated :)

Cheers!

permanent link
Sam Smith (2142) | answered May 05 '10, 6:56 a.m.
Thanks for your reply Ralph.

I've worked out that my problem was that when I came to create a new Project Area under the 'Project Area Management' link, my imported process wasn't listed there - as soon as I unticked the 'Fliter by Locale' box it appeared :)

Do you know where this locale is specified for the template? I don't remember seeing an option to specify it when I exported the template.

Cheers, Sam.

Sam,

what you can do today is create a process template from your customized process.
- From that template you can create new Projects that inherit your customizations.
- You can export the Template and import it on a different server, then create a project with your customizations.

Please note that configuring a project derived fro a template does not change the template. Therefore you have to create one first.

Ralph

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered May 05 '10, 7:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Sam,

unfortunately I don't. I think I remember I once saw some information on how to translate templates. If you export it, you get a zip file. Maybe you can find something there?

Ralph

Thanks for your reply Ralph.

I've worked out that my problem was that when I came to create a new Project Area under the 'Project Area Management' link, my imported process wasn't listed there - as soon as I unticked the 'Fliter by Locale' box it appeared :)

Do you know where this locale is specified for the template? I don't remember seeing an option to specify it when I exported the template.

Cheers, Sam.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.