It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to view all workitem in different Timelines?

zhuang li (61) | asked Mar 11 '10, 9:03 a.m.
sorry, I can not get the mothed to do that...Please help me...

6 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (62.9k33645) | answered Mar 11 '10, 10:22 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,
I am not sure what the problem is here. If no criteria for the owning team and planned for attribute is set in a query it will return all qualifying work items. There might be other attributes as well, but I am not aware of them currently.

If your query would be like return work items of all types and nothing more, you should see al work items of that project. You could develop your query from there.

Ralph

sorry, I can not get the mothed to do that...Please help me...

permanent link
zhuang li (61) | answered Mar 13 '10, 12:06 p.m.
Sorry for that ....I has got the work items in the iteration of that project.
but I don't how to get the workitem in some archived iteration of that project ...

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (62.9k33645) | answered Mar 14 '10, 4:52 a.m.
Hi,

not sure what you mean with archived iteration I looked around and you could only delete an iteration. You can archive categories and you can unarchive those.

Can you be more specific on what your problem is to allow reducing the number of answers? E.g. are you saying the iteration these are planned for is deleted? What is the intent, what do you want to do and why?

To get all work items filed against iterations that where deleted you could create a query "Planned for" is not and check "Unassigned, current iteration" and all the other iterations you have as an option. Then you would see the ones not qualifying which will contain the ones you are looking for. You could plan them for a new iteration. If you know the ID of the iteration deleted, you could recreate the iteration and use it as selection criteria.

Ralph

Sorry for that ....I has got the work items in the iteration of that project.
but I don't how to get the workitem in some archived iteration of that project ...

permanent link
Frank Gerhardt (9144) | answered Jul 05 '11, 4:21 a.m.
We have quarterly releases. Some bigger features take more than a quarter to develop so that we can't work truly sequential.

I would like to set up 2 release iterations starting now, and lasting until end of Q3 and Q4 respectively.

We have one team, one scrum, and I would not like to separate the team because of the planning. We want to work from one shared product backlog. For each release we want a separate release backlog, and separate sprint backlogs - as usual. The backlog "plan" showing the release sequence should be shared and show the overall offort/progress. The individual release plans (for Q3, Q4) should be separate.

What I read so far in the forum is, that I can either have two timelines but that would separate the teams and the product backlog. Or, withinin one timeline we can have only one current iteration, not two.

I've seen reference to WI 99436. But that is 1.5 years old and does not seem likely to get into the next RTC release.

Any suggestions for this setup?

Frank.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (62.9k33645) | answered Jul 05 '11, 4:59 a.m.
We have quarterly releases. Some bigger features take more than a quarter to develop so that we can't work truly sequential.

I would like to set up 2 release iterations starting now, and lasting until end of Q3 and Q4 respectively.

We have one team, one scrum, and I would not like to separate the team because of the planning. We want to work from one shared product backlog. For each release we want a separate release backlog, and separate sprint backlogs - as usual. The backlog "plan" showing the release sequence should be shared and show the overall offort/progress. The individual release plans (for Q3, Q4) should be separate.

What I read so far in the forum is, that I can either have two timelines but that would separate the teams and the product backlog. Or, withinin one timeline we can have only one current iteration, not two.

I've seen reference to WI 99436. But that is 1.5 years old and does not seem likely to get into the next RTC release.

Frank.

Hi Frank, this is a typical issue that everybody has (even using a spreadsheet) and is not really related to the tool but to the way of managing and splitting work from my perspective.

There is only one active iteration per timeline, because the tool needs something that makes sense to figure data for load, remaining time etc. This is to reflect reality and in reality you have 2 quarterly releases, so you are working for the current release and there is one next quarter too. Everybody is working to finish work scheduled for him this quarter. There will be some work left next quarter that they would continue to work on.

So the real issue is how to create a work breakdown structure where a feature that can't be done in one iteration is split down into pieces that can so that you can track the progress in the current iteration and are confident you can do the rest in the next.

This can be done with RTC using parent child dependencies. Ideally you would split your Feature(complete) into Feature (Q3) and Feature (Q4) pieces. Both would be children of the feature, both scheduled for their respective quarter. Ideally you would want to break down into even smaller children features, to make sure you get more data points and feedback on finished work. If you plan only in chunks that barely fit in a quarter they will likely slip. If you use smaller pieces you might slip with some, but might get done others which gives you feedback on how fast you are. You might be able to start on work planned for Q2 already too....

If you can't make it that agile, you might want to use the same technique with the formal project template and have a traditional scheduler.

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jul 05 '11, 7:48 a.m.
I agree with Ralph's comments below. If you have one team, and you want
to do unified planning for that team, then you should be using one
timeline, representing the work rhythm for that team. Your Q3 and Q4
releases should be represented as work items (with appropriate child
work items), not as separate timelines.

Cheers,
Geoff

On 7/5/2011 5:08 AM, rschoon wrote:
gerhardtwrote:
We have quarterly releases. Some bigger features take more than a
quarter to develop so that we can't work truly sequential.

I would like to set up 2 release iterations starting now, and
lasting until end of Q3 and Q4 respectively.

We have one team, one scrum, and I would not like to separate the
team because of the planning. We want to work from one shared product
backlog. For each release we want a separate release backlog, and
separate sprint backlogs - as usual. The backlog "plan"
showing the release sequence should be shared and show the overall
offort/progress. The individual release plans (for Q3, Q4) should be
separate.

What I read so far in the forum is, that I can either have two
timelines but that would separate the teams and the product backlog.
Or, withinin one timeline we can have only one current iteration, not
two.

I've seen reference to WI 99436. But that is 1.5 years old and does
not seem likely to get into the next RTC release.

Frank.

Hi Frank, this is a typical issue that everybody has (even using a
spreadsheet) and is not really related to the tool but to the way of
managing and splitting work from my perspective.

There is only one active iteration per timeline, because the tool
needs something that makes sense to figure data for load, remaining
time etc. This is to reflect reality and in reality you have 2
quarterly releases, so you are working for the current release and
there is one next quarter too. Everybody is working to finish work
scheduled for him this quarter. There will be some work left next
quarter that they would continue to work on.

So the real issue is how to create a work breakdown structure where a
feature that can't be done in one iteration is split down into pieces
that can so that you can track the progress in the current iteration
and are confident you can do the rest in the next.

This can be done with RTC using parent child dependencies. Ideally you
would split your Feature(complete) into Feature (Q3) and Feature (Q4)
pieces. Both would be children of the feature, both scheduled for
their respective quarter. Ideally you would want to break down into
even smaller children features, to make sure you get more data points
and feedback on finished work. If you plan only in chunks that barely
fit in a quarter they will likely slip. If you use smaller pieces you
might slip with some, but might get done others which gives you
feedback on how fast you are. You might be able to start on work
planned for Q2 already too....

If you can't make it that agile, you might want to use the same
technique with the formal project template and have a traditional
scheduler.

Your answer