It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC EWM java TeamPlatform.startup() error

DEPAUW Martin (111) | asked Mar 01, 11:49 a.m.

Hi,

when i execute the instruction 

TeamPlatform.startup();

i get this, and nothing in log.
Does anyone have an idea ?
My environment : EWM 7.0.2 SR1

SLF4J: Class path contains multiple SLF4J bindings.
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/IBM/IDZ16_V2/plugins/ch.qos.logback.classic_1.2.11.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: Found binding in [jar:file:/C:/Program%20Files/IBM/IDZ16_V2/plugins/org.apache.logging.log4j.slf4j-impl_2.17.1.jar!/org/slf4j/impl/StaticLoggerBinder.class]
SLF4J: See http://www.slf4j.org/codes.html#multiple_bindings for an explanation.
SLF4J: Actual binding is of type [ch.qos.logback.classic.util.ContextSelectorStaticBinder]
Exception in thread "main" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at java.base/java.lang.J9VMInternals.ensureError(J9VMInternals.java:206)
at java.base/java.lang.J9VMInternals.recordInitializationFailure(J9VMInternals.java:195)
at java.base/jdk.internal.misc.Unsafe.ensureClassInitialized0(Native Method)
at java.base/jdk.internal.misc.Unsafe.ensureClassInitialized(Unsafe.java:1445)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.UnsafeFieldAccessorFactory.newFieldAccessor(UnsafeFieldAccessorFactory.java:43)
at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.ReflectionFactory.newFieldAccessor(ReflectionFactory.java:186)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Field.acquireFieldAccessor(Field.java:1105)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Field.getFieldAccessor(Field.java:1086)
at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Field.get(Field.java:418)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.InternalTeamPlatform$1.handleExtensionAdded(InternalTeamPlatform.java:284)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionReader.internalReadElement(ExtensionReader.java:202)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionReader.readRegistry(ExtensionReader.java:350)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionReader.start(ExtensionReader.java:380)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.util.ExtensionReader.earlyStart(ExtensionReader.java:127)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.InternalTeamPlatform.initializeGeneratedPackages(InternalTeamPlatform.java:317)
at com.ibm.team.repository.common.internal.util.InternalTeamPlatform.start(InternalTeamPlatform.java:108)
at com.ibm.team.repository.client.TeamPlatform.startup(TeamPlatform.java:50)
at com.groupama.otd.rugby.aix.main.Rtcmain.main(Rtcmain.java:34)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.ibm.ftt.bidi.extensions.Activator.getBIDIHandler(Activator.java:93)
at com.ibm.carma.model.impl.ModelPackageImpl.initializePackageContents(ModelPackageImpl.java:2072)
at com.ibm.carma.model.impl.ModelPackageImpl.init(ModelPackageImpl.java:418)
at com.ibm.carma.model.ModelPackage.<clinit>(ModelPackage.java:74)
... 16 more
Exception in thread "Thread-1" java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at java.base/java.lang.J9VMInternals.ensureError(J9VMInternals.java:206)
at java.base/java.lang.J9VMInternals.recordInitializationFailure(J9VMInternals.java:195)
at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.internal.J2EEInit$20.run(J2EEInit.java:347)
at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:839)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.common.internal.impl.CommonPackageImpl.initializePackageContents(CommonPackageImpl.java:1460)
at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.common.internal.impl.CommonPackageImpl.init(CommonPackageImpl.java:297)
at org.eclipse.jst.j2ee.common.CommonPackage.<clinit>(CommonPackage.java:243)
... 2 more

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 04, 3:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 04, 3:48 a.m.

I do not consider this to be a valid question. Just pasting a stack trace without any additional information is just bad habit. See How should I ask a question in the Forum if I want to receive useful answers?

The error could be due to many reasons. For example:

1. Using an unsupported Java version. Use the Java version that is shipped with the EWM Eclipse client or the server.
  2. Using incorrect parameters when calling Java
  3. Other issues with the environment

permanent link
DEPAUW Martin (111) | answered Mar 04, 5:50 a.m.

Hello Ralph

I apologize for the terse nature of my question. It's just that I couldn't find much more information to provide. I specified that I had just upgraded to EWM 7.0.2 SR1, and that I had not found anything in the eclipse log.
The teamplatform.startup() instruction has never caused me any problems before since I started working with RTC. (I started with 4.0.6)
I did find a post that was similar to mine, but which also had no response: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/250546/teamplatformstartup-throws-exception

I think there is no need to dwell on the lines prefixed with SLF4J.
It is indeed very likely that the problem does not come from EWM but from the test configuration which would not suit my platform. But I haven't changed anything in particular in my eclipse "debug configuration" properties page.
My "target platform" entered in the eclipse preferences is indeed the "running platform":

Compared to the basic configuration of the eclipse client associated with EWM 7.0.2 SR1, I added a few plugins that I developed, plus a few others from Compuware, but I think the problem lies upstream.

The eclipse client used is
IBM® Developer for z/OS®
Version: 16.0.2
Build id: 16.0.2.202306121415-160

I am working in parallel on IOperationAdvisor development for which I have no blocking points.

So to summarize:
1) I use the version of java provided by the IDZ client which was provided to me with EWM

2) I have not added any particular launch parameter, I let IDZ build the launch command which looks like this:
C:\Program Files\IBM\IDZ16_V2\jdk\bin\javaw.exe
-agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,suspend=y,address=localhost:59314 "-javaagent:C:\Program Files\IBM\IDZ16_V2\configuration\org.eclipse.osgi\3139\0.cp\lib\javaagent -shaded.jar"
-Dfile.encoding=Cp1252 "@C:\streams\IDZ16\Wks_Support\RTCMain2.temp-Rtcmain2-classpath-arg-1709549054934.txt" com.groupama.otd.rugby.aix.main.Rtcmain

3) This is definitely an avenue to explore concerning an environmental problem that I need.

For clarification: I'm bad at English, I use Google translate to post, excuse me in advance for any awkward style.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Mar 04, 6:49 a.m.
edited Mar 04, 6:50 a.m.

The language is not the issue. English is also not my 1st language.
The important information: 

•  You run the Plain Java Client Libraries as a debug launch in the Eclipse client. It is an IDZ client.
I do not know your error. What I would suggest is to have a look at https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2023/03/20/tls1-1-and-how-to-make-the-ewm-rtc-extensions-workshop-work/ and https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2022/10/26/the-ewm-rational-team-concert-extensions-workshop-and-recent-eclipse-versions/ and https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2024/02/09/ewm-rational-team-concert-extensions-workshop-changes-for-7-0-3/ . The EWM/RTC Extensions workshop mentioned here would provide the description how to best set up your environment for development. Especially Labe 1. The last lab in Lab 1 explains how to setup the Plain Java Client libraries. Make sure the snippets run. IF they don't, check Window>Preferences Installed JRE'S, Execution environment, Compiler and make sure to use a Java 1.8 JVM. 
Sorry that I can't provide more help based on the information.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 04, 6:58 a.m. | edited Mar 04, 7:01 a.m.

The target Platform is not that important, if you just use the Plain Java Client Libraries without the EWM SDK. With the EWM SDK installed, you are better equipped to debug, because the SDK ships the source code. 

With respect to the stack trace, there are several null pointer exceptions. 
Does your code work in the previous environment?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.