It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error when exporting and importing from DoorsNG in XSLS, CSV, and XLS

Spencer Pond (11) | asked Jan 05, 10:01 a.m.

Hello, 

In DoorsNG, I am trying to export a module as a spreadsheet file and then import it back into a DoorsNG Module. When I do this though it fails across the board, the following error message occurs for all artifact types.

Error Message: CRRRS4212E The server encountered an exception: CRRRS4201E The specified artifact type, System Requirement , does not exist:
Row Number: 116

Error Message: CRRRS4212E The server encountered an exception: CRRRS4201E The specified artifact type, Component Architecture , does not exist:
Row Number: 224

I should add when importing I am trying to create all new artifacts and not replace any redundant ones.  
Since I exported this file as a spreadsheet, the Artifact type it exported is by definition Verbatim the same artifact type as when I imported it therefore the artifact type does exist.

I notice that there seems to be an extra space before and following the artifact type when importing back to DoorsNG as in " The specified artifact type, System Requirement , does not exist".

This could be the culprit however I have no way of fixing this. In the excel document each cell is succinct in it's definition with no additional spaces besides the one separating the words.

Has anyone had this issue before? I will also add this issue completely goes away when exporting into a file instead of a module.  

One answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Jan 06, 2:04 a.m.
From the copy/paste you have supplied above it looks like your data may have a trailing space at the end. DNG sees this and will not match it to the artefact type.

It's also possible you have a space AND a comma - make sure your Artifact Type column has only one value, with no leading or trailing characters or spaces

The fact it doesn't appear on every line shows that those two specific lines have been modified and have extra characters

Comments
Spencer Pond commented Jan 08, 8:33 a.m.

Hi Davyd,
I am doubtful that this is the solution, as I said the import process works fine when you're importing into a file folder but not when you import into a module. When troubleshooting before I made this post, your answer was the clear solution. This is reiterated in paragraph 6. In regard to your fourth section read my paragraph 1, this occurs for all artifact types. This is taken directly from the exported csv as well with no modifications. 

Davyd Norris commented Jan 08, 6:20 p.m.
So are the copy and pasted parts above just examples and not contiguous entries in the log? I was basing my comment on the fact the line numbers were not contiguous. the space at the end is definitely what is causing your problem.

When you say " In the excel document each cell is succinct in it's definition with no additional spaces besides the one separating the words. " do you mean that the Excel spreadsheet has no trailing spaces in the Artifact Type column?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.