It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

EWM - Plan Item Predecessors

Glyn Costello (140151) | asked Nov 02 '23, 11:21 a.m.

Hi All, 

I have a WBS with plan items (as summary tasks) and execution items (as normal child tasks of the summary task). 

Creating predecessor links between execution items works as expected... one task starts after the predecessor finishes. 

However, if I try to create a predecessor link between plan items, the scheduler seems to completely ignore it. 

Is this intended behaviour?

I'm using the traditional project management scheduler. 

Doing the same thing in MS Project moves the summary task to start after it's predecessor and applies to all its child tasks as well. 

Comments
Glyn Costello commented Nov 02 '23, 12:00 p.m.

I've noted that it seems to apply to any parent task, whether its a plan item or execution item. If you link two parent tasks together, the planner ignores their child tasks. 

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 03 '23, 4:19 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I don't know how this is supposed to work. As far as I am aware, Successor and Predecessor links are only supported in the traditional/formal planning process and the GANT planning always felt underwhelming.

Glyn Costello commented Nov 03 '23, 5:25 a.m.

Hi Ralph, 

I'm using the Traditional Planner scheduler. It seems that dependency links between parent tasks are just simply not supported. As soon as a task becomes a parent task, the schedule dependencies are just ignored, so if we've built a plan with dependencies, then someone creates a sub-task (common) the schedule gets thrown off. I tried importing from an MS project too, just a simple example, but again, dependency links are not honoured.  

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 03 '23, 5:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

My experience with the formal scheduler are limited and way in the past, but I am not surprised you find limitations in the formal planning, Glyn. 

One answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.