It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Eclipse Client failing on Linux/RHEL 8 - java.lang.UnsatifiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library

Becky McDermott (921140) | asked Aug 25 '23, 3:20 p.m.

Hello,

I have installed a couple of eclipse based clients on a RHEL 8 VM (listed as supported by Rational Software Architect 9.7).

After I install the software and then try to run it for the first time as a non-root user, I get some errors.

1) First time I run, I get this error:
     org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [Unknown Mozilla path (MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME not set)]

2) So, I set that variable to the path of firefox:  export MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME=/usr/bin/firefox 
     and then when I run eclipse, I get this error:

org.eclipse.swt.SWTError: No more handles [MOZILLA_FIVE_HOME='/usr/bin/firefox'] (java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: Could not load SWT library. Reasons:
        /home/bmcderm/.eclipse/org.eclipse.platform_4.7.3_1529064711_linux_gtk_x86_64/configuration/org.eclipse.osgi/1624/0/.cp/libswt-mozilla-gtk-4763.so (libxpcom.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
        swt-mozilla-gtk (Not found in java.library.path)
        /home/bmcderm/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-mozilla-gtk-4763.so (libxpcom.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
        /home/bmcderm/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/libswt-mozilla-gtk.so (/home/bmcderm/.swt/lib/linux/x86_64/liblibswt-mozilla-gtk.so.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory)
)

I ran into the same thing on Ubuntu 16.04 and was able to solve it by installing a library:  sudo apt-get install libwebkitgtk-1.0-0

However, RHEL 8 is my target platform and I cannot seem to figure out how to make it work there (there doesn't seem to be a libwebkitgtk-1.0-0 for RHEL 8)

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.