It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

I want to migrate database SQL Server to DB2

Fabiano Lima (194) | asked Jul 10 '23, 11:22 p.m.

I want to migrate ELM 7 database from SQL Server to DB2 and I would like to know if the logical structure and data model change as well. That is, if they are different structures. Can I migrate using data export/import?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 11 '23, 1:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Open the documentation (Library>Engineering Lifecycle Management documentation. Select your version. In the search bar type "database migration". 

There is a built in mechanism to export the database and to import the exported data. You do not have to know how the database is structured.

Fabiano Lima selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Fabiano Lima commented Jul 12 '23, 10:05 a.m.

There are some queries that make direct access to live tables to extract data (I know it's not recommended). If I change databases, do SQL Server queries change with respect to DB2 queries? Does the table structure (table and field names) change?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 12 '23, 10:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I do not know. My expectation would be, the tables are similar for different databases. But there are some differences such a keys etc.  The database schema/table details are not published, so I do not know.   So it might be possible that you need to test your reports.

One other answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 11 '23, 7:25 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

And if your databases are large and the time required to run repotools_[app] export and import is too long, you can ask via IBM Support whether or when a faster migration utility is or will be available.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.