It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there a way to automatically update a field/"Modified On" time when any relationship link of another artifact is added manually in the original artifact, through some JavaScript or widgets feature in DOORS NG?

Mi Meh (111) | asked Oct 04 '22, 5:35 a.m.

When I manually add a system requirement relationship linkage to a custom Epic in DOORS NG, the Modified On time for the Epic does not get updated. The Modified On time only gets updated when there are any updates in the fields. I want to find a way to update this Modified On time for the artifact, when a user creates a relationship linkage between two artifacts manually.

I saw a video and documentation regarding extending the DOORS NG with JavaScript and I want to know if there is some way where we can put some script in background which automatically updates a field or the Modified ON time for an artifact as soon as a relationship linkage is added in the original artifact.

This is a project specific use case, we want to deploy this only for one project, so it would fine if the script does not have to do this for every project in DOORS NG.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 04 '22, 7:10 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I am pretty sure that it is not possible to change the modification date for any of the objects in the ELM tools. This would impact auditing.  

Comments
Mi Meh commented Oct 04 '22, 8:04 a.m.

I checked the link that you sent but I am looking for a solution where on linking an artifact to the original artifact the artifact's "Modified On" time should change to the time when the link was added. Since you said this is not possible as that would impact the auditing, is it possible to have some script in the background that would update a custom field in the artifact whenever a linkage between two artifacts is created? If yes, then could you please provide some resource from where I can learn to make such script.

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 04 '22, 10:25 a.m. | edited Oct 04 '22, 10:26 a.m.

This involves several applications where links could be involved. E.g. DOORS Next, ETM, EWM. 

I am only aware that it is possible to create a follow up action/participant for EWM. This could detect the creation of links and modify an attribute and save. But, it is only possible to detect the creation of certain link types. It is, as far as I know, not possible to detect the creation of OSLC links.

I am not aware if there is enough API in ETM or DOORS Next, to do anything on that side. 

I do not believe that this is possible.  

Mi Meh commented Oct 06 '22, 9:22 a.m. | edited Oct 06 '22, 9:24 a.m.

I am using DOORS Next RM. Is it possible for that using RMExtensionsAPI or some other API's for base artifacts inside a project's initial stream?

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 06 '22, 9:40 a.m.

If the links are all between requirement data, maybe. If not you need more APIs, because the links are stored in the other applications.

As I have already explained, there is no consistent, reliable way to trigger for the event.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.