It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Clarification on install requirements for C/ALM functionalit

Andy Moynahan (6312219) | asked Dec 01 '09, 3:01 p.m.
Hello,

I need clarification on the installation requirements for integrating RRC and RTC.

In the documentation for RRC 2.0 there is a section for integrating RRC with other Jazz products. There is a list of pre-requisites that need to be met for integrating products based on Jazz.

One of those states:
"You are running the servers on machines with different host names or IP addresses."

To me this implies the RRC and RTC Jazz servers have to be installed on different physical machines.

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is it currently mandatory to install RRC and RTC on different physical machines?

What I'd like to do is install them on the same physical machine but separate them via different ports.

Thanks

Andy

3 answers

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Dec 02 '09, 12:56 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Am I interpreting this correctly? Is it currently mandatory to install RRC and RTC on different physical machines? What I'd like to do is install them on the same physical machine but separate them via different ports.

The default configuration is for installing on separate machines. There is a tech note that describes how to configure co-installations into the same application server:

Deploying Rational Requirement Composer Server and Rational Team Concert Server into the same WebSphere Application Server or Apache Tomcat Server

And there is a separate tech note if you simply want to change the ports RRC uses:

Configuring the Rational Requirements Composer server to use ports that are not the default​

permanent link
Andy Moynahan (6312219) | answered Dec 03 '09, 8:57 a.m.
Thanks. I had seen that tech note but If I do that, I can't use the C/ALM functionality. At the bottom of this tech note it says :

When running both Rational Team Concert and Rational Requirements Composer on a single application server, note that the C/ALM functionality from both products is not currently supported in this configuration. If you want to use C/ALM, then each application must run in its own application server at this time.

Right now, I only have access to one machine (A VM image). So I want to install both RRC and RTC on the same machine and use the C/ALM functionality.

The RRC documentation says that a pre-requisite to using integrating and RTC is:
You are running the servers on machines with different host names or IP addresses.

This implies that I have to use two different physical machines.

The install options seem to be:
1) Install on two separate machines and use two different app servers. This allows the use of the C/ALM functionality.
2) Install and use the same app server for both RRC and RTC but be unable to use C/ALM functionality.

What about the option of installing on the same machine but use two different app servers?
Is the C/ALM functionality supported if I install both products on a single VM image but use two different app servers? I realize that this is an artificial install scenario, but I only have access to one machine right now.

thanks

Andy

permanent link
Robin Bater (3.4k47) | answered Dec 07 '09, 1:17 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks. I had seen that tech note but If I do that, I can't use the C/ALM functionality. At the bottom of this tech note it says :

When running both Rational Team Concert and Rational Requirements Composer on a single application server, note that the C/ALM functionality from both products is not currently supported in this configuration. If you want to use C/ALM, then each application must run in its own application server at this time.

Right now, I only have access to one machine (A VM image). So I want to install both RRC and RTC on the same machine and use the C/ALM functionality.

The RRC documentation says that a pre-requisite to using integrating and RTC is:
You are running the servers on machines with different host names or IP addresses.

This implies that I have to use two different physical machines.

The install options seem to be:
1) Install on two separate machines and use two different app servers. This allows the use of the C/ALM functionality.
2) Install and use the same app server for both RRC and RTC but be unable to use C/ALM functionality.

What about the option of installing on the same machine but use two different app servers?
Is the C/ALM functionality supported if I install both products on a single VM image but use two different app servers? I realize that this is an artificial install scenario, but I only have access to one machine right now.

thanks

Andy

Here are some early draft instructions for installing C/ALM smoke tests

https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/CALMSmokeInstall

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.