It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Move an RM artifact from one RM component/Stream to a different RM component/Stream

Glyn Costello (14050) | asked Oct 06 '21, 4:18 a.m.

Hi, 

Is it possible to move a text artifact/requirement from one component to another? We have a component with artifacts where we want to now break that down into smaller components for better reuse and I want to move some artifacts into one component, some artifacts into the other component, and leave some requirements in the original component. 

Comments
Diana Kraaijeveld commented Oct 06 '21, 4:40 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
It is possible to  clone an existing artifact or module into another component. This creates a new version of the existing artifact and you could also delete the original artifact after, if you want.

Another option is to use the Copy from component'  for the artifacts or modules. And then delete the originals after. But this would in fact create copies, so the history is not maintained and the artifacts will get new ID's.

Both methods have the option to also copy the links.
Note: Before using either method make sure the type system is aligned, for example by importing the component properties of the source into the target component.

For comparing these 2 methods, see:

Glyn Costello commented Dec 07 '21, 11:04 a.m.

Hi, thanks! As we almost always use Global Configurations, I see "Cloning" as a bit of a risk, is there anyway I can disable the option to Clone and instead only permit Copy (then delete the original)?

Will ELM prevent Cloning of an artifact if the target component/stream is already in the same Global Configuration?

David Honey commented Dec 07 '21, 11:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you attempt to clone a requirement from component A to component B, then this will be prevented if there is any global configuration hierarchy that includes a DN configuration of component A and a configuration of component B.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.