It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Will I get agile metrics if I import scrum template work items into a project area created using formal project management template?

Vishwanath Venkatesan (111) | asked Oct 01 '21, 1:10 p.m.
edited Oct 01 '21, 1:45 p.m.

Will I get agile metrics if I import scrum template work items into a project area created using formal project management template? I believe I can import workitems such as Epics, User stories etc into a life cycle project area setup with a formal project management template. Please let me know if agile metrics such as burndown, velocity and others can be created out of the box? Please advise. The Rational version is 6.0.6.1 Thanks.

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 04 '21, 2:57 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Scrum is an agile process, the Formal project management process is not. 

Regardless of the template used to seed the project area, there are several dashboard widgets and reports available, that provide with agile metrics, provided the required information is available. So, what is the question, really? 

Comments
Vishwanath Venkatesan commented Oct 04 '21, 3:31 a.m.

Ralph, Hi, Thank you for responding, I have a client (who are product based) and they are using a single project area (set up with a formal project management template) for all their incoming work requests from their clients. Now, each work request is identified with a number. Say "WI 123456" is a work item. A team area "WI 123456" is created under the project area for that work item. A year back a strategic project was initiated in agile and workitems types such as epics and stories were brought into this project area. Now they grouped functionalities for their MVP which is good and sought to implement the first MVP and so created a team area for that. Now they are using epics and stories within it because they imported those workitem types. But the out of the box agile charts such as burndown and velocity are not coming up or showing up. I have advised to create a separate project area for the agile one but the question they are asking is why the reports aren't coming up though the workitems have been imported into the project area created using formal project management template. I honestly have no answer to that and seeking a direction in this forum.

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Oct 04 '21, 7:25 a.m.
edited Oct 04 '21, 7:26 a.m.

A project area set up with the formal planning template does not have the agile planning capabilities. Just by importing/recreating agile work item types does not produce any reportable data. Any existing reports require specific data and expect the data to be provided in the correct way.

I am very concerned about creating so many team areas, even if I assume this is only done for work items of a specific type and hopefully there are only few of those. 

If you want to understand how the agile reports work, I would suggest to set up a test system, create a project area and some team areas. Maybe start with the Money that matters sample. Then produce some data and have the data collection jobs run and see what the widgets display. 

In general, the agile reports and dashboards require Teams underneath the team area. Iterations that are set and change over time, Story points. Estimates, time  spent, time remaining to fully work.

Comments
Vishwanath Venkatesan commented Oct 04 '21, 8:33 a.m.

Thank you Ralph...

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 04 '21, 9:04 a.m.

If you need to further discuss this after setting up a test server (Please note that you can use the 10Free License so no license timeout) and playing with it. Comment here and let me know. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.