It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Non-Source Code Basic Document Management with RTC source control

Glyn Costello (140151) | asked Aug 27 '21, 8:36 a.m.
edited Aug 27 '21, 9:01 a.m.

Hi all, 

How can I achieve some basic document management in RTC source control for things like PDFs, word docs, etc.?

I'm not a software engineer, but the component/stream/workspace arrangement is a bit confusing. 

Can different read-access controls within the same project area be applied like with work items and "restrict read access"?

Background info:
- We're making physical machines and use RM for requirements, RTC for planning and work items, QM for testing and GC for managing global configurations and product hierarchy. 
- We have strict read access controls so each "project" will have its own RM and QM project area. However, we just have the one RTC project area with work item read restrictions based on category and team area. 
- Consider that our "source" is PDF drawings for devices/components which have document numbers and revision numbers which I'd like to reflect in RTC somehow with custom properties?

So we might have a Project which consists of 3 major components in a GC hierarchy with 3 different teams working on them (e.g. a motor, a drive and a switchboard). Requirements managed in RM, work in RTC. How could I use the "Source Control" features in RTC to manage the drawings and map up to the 3 main components in RM/GC so that when we hit a major design review milestone, for example, or an "as built" for the first item, I can baseline the requirements and PDF drawing structure/revision state for the 3 components?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Aug 27 '21, 11:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 27 '21, 2:04 p.m.
Yes, you can specify the read-access control of each file separately, similar to work items.

To keep things simple for document management, you can just have one component for all the documents and one stream in that component.   Then use the web browser to update those documents (the web browser allows you to directly update a stream, so no need for workspaces).

If you want to some of your GC's contain a particular baseline of the documents, then you would add that baseline to the GC.

If you want to partition your documents into different components (so you can baseline one component separately from another), you can have multiple document components, and select which baseline of each document component should appear in which GCs.

RTC automatically assigns each file version an integer version number, so you can either use that as your version number, or you can create a custom attribute, and store your own version number in there.   Custom file attributes are currently only accessible via the command line, so you wouldn't be able to see or modify them in the web browser.

Glyn Costello selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Glyn Costello commented Aug 27 '21, 1:38 p.m.

Thank you, how can the custom attributes be created and edited in the rich client?

Geoffrey Clemm commented Aug 27 '21, 2:05 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Unfortunately, custom attributes are not currently visible or editable via a GUI.   This is requested in enhancement: https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Rational%20Team%20Concert#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=402267 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.