It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to get planning related features from formal project management template to other templates

KT PD (597) | asked Oct 12 '22, 7:31 a.m.
edited Oct 12 '22, 8:11 a.m.
 Hi Team,

I am working with RTC 7.0.2 version.

I am trying to get Plan start , end date and due date in scrum/agile template using Gantt chart.

When we are using formal project management template, we can able to get Gantt chart with plan start and plan end date with view as "Work breakdown" option. Also it is showing relationship between work items in created plan as predecessors and successors.
but, 
When I am using scrum/agile template below are the problems:
    a.  All planning is divided sprint wise.
    b. How to get Gantt chart in this template which will give plan start date, due date and date, as well as relationship between predecessors and successors in roadmap view.
    c. How to get this feature from formal project management template to any other template.

can anyone help me on the it?

Thanks

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Oct 12 '22, 8:35 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

As far as I am aware, that is not possible. You have either the agile flavor or the traditional flavor. I have seen posts that claim you can copy some XML for it to work, but for all I know that is a myth.

Comments
Davyd Norris commented Oct 13 '22, 6:40 p.m.

Ralph - I have done this to add Risk type items to an Agile template. Not for the faint hearted but it absolutely works. Having said that, I think this is not the correct solution to the OPs issue and is just patching the symptom of a bad process

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 14 '22, 3:56 a.m.

Did you just add some attributes or have you also been able to add the plan types and their functionality such as the additional snap shot type etc? I do not think that that is supported. 

Davyd Norris commented Oct 15 '22, 9:22 p.m. | edited Oct 15 '22, 9:23 p.m.
The risk type work items don't have plans - there are a couple of work items (Risk and Action) and their accompanying UI elements, which include the graphical Risk Matrix. They are then managed in the standard plans.

It's actually a documented approach in the Knowledge Center and they show you how to add the plan snapshot types etc:

Ralph Schoon commented Oct 17 '22, 2:59 a.m.

Thanks for the hint, Davyd. 

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Oct 12 '22, 7:13 p.m.
The templates in EWM are set up to follow the way the process works.

Scrum is one of the Agile processes available and it does not use GANTT charts, nor does it have a concept of Planned Start and Planned End dates on individual work items - that's just not how Scrum runs its process.

Releases, defined by Release Plans, are broken into fixed length Sprints, defined by Sprint Plans. Technically there is no planned work, only work you haven't done yet, and it lives in the various Release and Sprint Backlogs. Stories are assigned points that relate to their relative effort and are rigorously prioritised and ranked, and then sprints are filled by looking at how many points a team can do, and pulling the top ranked stories off backlog into the Sprint.

That's the whole way Scrum works and it's the way the template has been set up to operate.

It sounds like you are really looking for a different agile process - maybe something like RUP/OpenUP is the right thing for you? It's an iterative and incremental agile process that's risk driven, and can be implemented in the Traditional template where you have a Release Plan, broken into 4 Phase Plans, broken into a variable number of Iteration Plans that operate quite similarly to how Sprints operate in Scrum

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.