It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Query if all approvals on a work item have been approved

Logan Torres (177) | asked May 05 '21, 2:58 p.m.

If I have a work item that will have multiple approvals on it, is there a way to query that work item to see if all of them have been approved? Currently the query I have will display the work item as long as one approval is approved

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 06 '21, 8:56 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

When I tried queries for approvals way back, my experience was, that I could not get the behavior and results I wanted. Especially when there where multiple approvals on a work item. It is also unclear what the underlying interpretation of multiple approvals of the same or different approval types would really mean. Next issue is how to track and make sure that this is not broken downstream.

It is quite easy to create approval data that does not seem to make sense to a human. You can come up with many different interpretation what that data even means. Relationships between approvals of different types etc.

I have worked with another customer and implemented pre-conditions to make sure it is impossible to enter inconsistent data - based on the customers interpretation of review and approval record. The first thing I prevented was creating multiple approval records of the same type. Another rule was to prevent approvals as long as the review was not approved.

So, I am not optimistic you will get the results you want. The query capabilities are just not advanced enough to express things like status of the latest approval or anything remotely close to what would be required in all the possible situations.

permanent link
Jackie Albert (1.6k14946) | answered May 06 '21, 9:12 a.m.

You may have better luck with Report Builder, as it offers more complex querying than the out of the box query capability.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.