It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How create storys with the API?

Patrick Boschung (21) | asked Apr 29 '21, 4:16 a.m.
Hi,
We have to create about 30 storys (Planned For, some Description,  Estimation etc) in IBM Jazz.
I could not find a simple guide, how create storys automated with the API.

Thanks for help
Greetings Patrick

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Apr 29 '21, 4:48 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you ask me, I would suggest to rather use something like the WCL https://github.com/jazz-community/work-item-command-line or the EWM CSV import. Neither of the APIs is trivial and it is going to take a lot longer if you try using them. These are the available APIs: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/what-apis-are-available-for-rtc-and-what-can-you-extend/ 

Ralph Schoon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Patrick Boschung commented Apr 29 '21, 5:39 a.m. | edited May 03 '21, 4:11 a.m.
Thanks, this would be also a possibility.
Unfortunately errors occure while importing CSV, when use the CSV Style of an exported file.

Patrick Boschung commented Apr 29 '21, 5:44 a.m. | edited May 03 '21, 4:11 a.m.
Do you have a working example of a CSV with.  Plan, Estimation, Name, Parent, Owner?
EXAMPLE CSV:

"Id","Item Notes","Primary Location","Summary","Plan Parent ID","Group","Owned By","Severity","Effective Estimate","Status","Blocked","Parent",
,,"false","BCL FW Req: Discuss",,"Boschung, Patrick, EXT","Boschung, Patrick, EXT","Unclassified",,"New","false","#1270650: Int Valve EU",

Ralph Schoon commented Apr 29 '21, 6:51 a.m.

Over the decades I have learned, that it is a good idea to try to export, before you then use that exported data to import. If I remember correctly You can also create an example mapping file.

Unfortunately I do not have a custom example for your case available. 

Note that the WCL also supports export and import with a mode that is a bit different from EWM, insofar it encodes the export values in a way that avoinds the need to create import mapping files.

Patrick Boschung commented Apr 29 '21, 7:10 a.m.
Hi Ralph,
Isn't it a default workflow I have?
What does WCL and EWM mean?
Thanks a lot.
Greetings Patrick

Patrick Boschung commented May 03 '21, 1:44 a.m. | edited May 03 '21, 4:12 a.m.
After a few steps with Exporting and importing cycles I found a working CSV format for Storys, Owner, Planed For and
Description.
Thanks.

Example CSV stored with Rons CSV Editor:

"Id","Planned For","Project Area","Filed Against","Type","Summary","Owned By","Severity","Story Points (numeric)","Story Points","Status","Blocked","Parent","Description","Acceptance Criteria"
"","Sprint 1.1","FID","Development/FW Team","Story","Title","Name","Unclassified","2","2 pts","New","FALSE","#FeatureNumber: FeatureSummary","Story Content","Acceptance Criteria of this story"

Ralph Schoon commented May 03 '21, 8:17 a.m.
Everyone thinks their workflow is the default workflow. I would disagree that CSV-import to create work items is the default.

WCL is work item command line: https://github.com/jazz-community/work-item-command-line that allows several types of batch commands, including csv-import, csv-export, bulk update, work item creation, update, print.

EWM is Engineering-Workflow-Management the new official name for RTC.
showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.