It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC freezes on Mac OS Big Sur

Zhi Pin Chong (111) | asked Jan 25 '21, 12:44 a.m.

RTC v6.0.5. Works well while on Catalina.

Once upgraded to Big Sur it is not working anymore.

Upon launch Splashscreen + option to select default workspace and it freezes there. 

I couldn't click or type in anything within the window.

5 answers

permanent link
Zhi Pin Chong (111) | answered Jan 25 '21, 12:45 a.m.

I've did a quick hack, adding the line SHOW_WORKSPACE_SELECTION_DIALOG=false to /configuration/.settings/org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs file to make RTC go into my workspace.

But inside the workspace it freezes as well. Couldn't click on anything, can't even click on the top options bar.

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | answered Jan 25 '21, 4:41 p.m.
Big Sur is not yet officially supported by RTC and it is currently under development plan's support it in the coming version(see comments from the dev team here: https://jazz.net/forum/questions/273162/unable-to-download-rqm-excel-add-in-for-mac-os-big-sur )

You may want to try the below and see if it helps:
Open the rtc605 client unzip folder, find the eclipse application file, right click on it, choose show package content, expand the MacOS folder, right click on the eclipse executable file, choose make alias, double click on the eclipse alias file to start rtc 605 client

permanent link
Zhi Pin Chong (111) | answered Jan 25 '21, 10:26 p.m.

"Open the rtc605 client unzip folder, find the eclipse application file, right click on it, choose show package content, expand the MacOS folder, right click on the eclipse executable file, choose make alias, double click on the eclipse alias file to start rtc 605 client"

That's how I launch the application on my MacOS. Prior to big sur (catalina) i was able to open the app.

Comments
Don Yang commented Jan 26 '21, 1:06 a.m.

There was info that using unzip plain RTC 6.0.4 client may work using the above option to open the client. if you are not with v6.0.4 client, you may give it a try. It can be used for v6.0.5 RTC server.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9185200) | answered Jan 28 '21, 9:52 a.m.
Yesterday I downloaded 6.0.6 Mac zip file.  I unzipped.  I tried a couple of things which help:

• Edit the eclipse.sh to remove the relative path for java leaving just java after the exec
  • Edited jazz/Eclipse.app/Contents/MacOS/eclipse.ini in the same fashion -- stripping the path from the line following -vm
The 2nd option works better as the dialog for choosing workspace doesn't get stuffed up an the UI will open.  I can make a connection to a repository and run work item queries ok.   Haven't tried loading a workspace.

permanent link
Zhi Pin Chong (111) | answered Feb 26 '21, 2:50 a.m.

I've found the solution. For RTC Eclipse in Big Sur it needs to point to a compatible Java JDK

1. Download and setup jdk

brew tap AdoptOpenJDK/openjdk
brew install --cask adoptopenjdk8
cd /Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/adoptopenjdk-8/Contents/Home/lib
sudo ln -s ../jre/lib/server/libjvm.dylib libserver.dylib

2. Let RTC Eclipse use system jdk instead of bundled jdk
Eclipse -> Show Package Content -> Contents/MacOS/eclipse.ini
remove the -vm path

3. Your Eclipse should be able to run now. If the error still exist, there might be due to conflicting version of jdk installed. U can setup Java path switching, or delete other jdks in
/Library/Java/JavaVirtualMachines/

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.