It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Doors Next - Is there a License Timeout Limit?

Carol Watson (71015) | asked Sep 14 '20, 1:59 p.m.

I previously changed the FloatingLicenseService value to 7200 to extend the timeout to 2 hours, which worked as expected.  Now I'm attempting to increase it to 10800.  While Issued Leases displays the timeout value of 180 minutes, it continues to timeout at 120 minutes. After log in the Issued Leases timeout continues to display the remaining minutes from the 180 original value.

<o:p> </o:p>

Is there a built in maximum of two hours perhaps?

Thanks,
Carol

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Sep 15 '20, 4:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Usually Advanced Server Attributes are to be used by suggestion of IBM support.

What is the purpose of trying to change the license timeouts?

BTW. Changing these timeouts to e.g. be able to use the same licenses for more users might be a violation of the license contract.

Comments
Carol Watson commented Sep 15 '20, 9:25 a.m.

I did obtain advice from IBM Support for the initial change to 7200. We were hoping to change to three hours merely for the convenience of not having to log in as often.  Users were finding the log in interruption disruptive in that their entry activities normally run more than two hours.  Our average simultaneous use is steady at less than 50% of the available licenses, so that isn't an issue. 

I'm not sure I understand how increasing the timeout could result in more available licenses, seems to me it would result in less since the floating licenses would be checked out for longer periods? 

Ralph Schoon commented Sep 15 '20, 10:34 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If you are in contact with support, I think it might be a good idea to ask them in the case too.

permanent link
Kirk Woods (9158) | answered Sep 15 '20, 9:50 a.m.

I have changed the value to 4 hours without any issues.  Did you restart the server after setting the timeout?  There are some properties that only take a new value after a restart.

Comments
Carol Watson commented Sep 15 '20, 11:00 a.m.

Thanks for the comment, and yes, we did a restart after changing the value.  We have JTS and RM on separate servers and restarted both.

Kirk Woods commented Sep 15 '20, 1:52 p.m.

Is it the license that is timing out or an idle session?  With WebSphere the default idle session was 30 minutes.  With Liberty Server there is no session timeout.
What attribute are you setting to increase the license timeout?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.