It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

The execution of Jazz Build Engine completed with a non-zero return code (RC=1)

Todd Miller (111) | asked Jul 14 '20, 2:48 p.m.
Hi all, I am getting the following error when trying to start the JBE on a Windows 10 machine:

CRRTC3529W: The execution of Jazz Build Engine completed with a non-zero return code (RC=1)

Below it there is this additional line:
Java was started but returned exit code=1

Googling the first line did not tell me anything useful. Googling the 2nd line seems to suggest this is a java incompatibility problem, however I am pretty confident I am using the right version/architecture of java. Just in case I tried other java versions and always get the same error.

Anyone know what could be causing my error? Or at least how I can get a more helpful error message (adding -verbose to the command doesn't do anything except add info about the java version to the log). Any advice is appreciated.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jul 15 '20, 4:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
The question lacks all information about Java Version, JBE versions etc.

I would suggest to launch the JBE in a shell window and see what is happening.

Some log information can be found in jazz\buildsystem\buildengine\eclipse e.g. in configuration and .metadata.

Todd Miller commented Jul 29 '20, 1:06 p.m.
I just re-installed the latest version of the build toolkit (6.0.6.1) using Installation Manager and still get the same error. It installed its own jre (version 1.8.0_191) and the jbe.ini is set to use this jre. I also tried other jre's, and then also tried uninstalling all other jre's from the PC, and still get the same error.

I am launching it by opening a cmd prompt and going to the buildsystem\buildengine\eclipse directory and then typing "jbe -repository https://myrepo/jazz -userid myid -passwordFile mypasswfile -engineId myengineId -verbose".

It always just gives the "java was started but returned exit code=1" message. I do not see any additional logs in the configuration or .metadata dirs, or anywhere else. The verbose param doesn't seem to provide any additional info. Any idea what that exit code 1 means? I am at a loss as to how to investigate the cause of this problem.

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 30 '20, 7:27 a.m. | edited Jul 30 '20, 7:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I used google and here are some hints: https://www.google.com/search?q=java+exit+code+1

This seems to be fairly common and I don't know if this forum can really answer this.
The Google query has a lot more links.

I can not see anything wrong in what you do. The JBE in 6.0.6.1 works for me.

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.