It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Default bug assignee like in Bugzilla

Dawid Pytel (162) | asked Nov 15 '09, 10:34 a.m.
Hi

I've been using RTC for some time and it has a lot of advantages over Bugzilla, which I used previously. But what I miss is the "default assignee" for the component (or work item category in RTC).

I believe this really simplifies bug assigning. Without this feature I see two possible scenarios:

1. tester knows (or it's written somewhere) who is responsible for given component. It could be quite tiresome for the tester.

2. every team has a member who's responsible for assigning bugs to an appropriate person. But this can cause lags in handling defects, for instance when such a person is overworked.

From my experience default bug assignment works perfectly well in most cases.
Sometimes it happens that bug is assigned to the wrong person. But such a person usually reassigns it immediately to the right developer. And still there is "default CC" that also helps.

Are there methods for rapid defect handling in RTC? Maybe creating lots of small teams (1-3 members) one for each component? What's your experience?

3 answers

permanent link
Evan Hughes (2.4k1318) | answered Nov 16 '09, 10:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I believe that the way we handle assignments is to have the notion of a component in-box. The in-box is a query that picks out new work items, that the team lead periodically runs to assign work items to the appropriate people.

When a tester is running through tests, they leave the WI unassigned. It will then be found by the team lead's query. When the lead finds it, they move the WI into a "triaged" state that prevents it from being found by the in-box query.

permanent link
Dawid Pytel (162) | answered Nov 17 '09, 10:46 a.m.
I like it :) After creating such a query person responsible for a component can easily track changes, and even get notified using "Subscribe for Query Feed".

Thanks for response, I wouldn't come up with this so quickly :)

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 17 '09, 6:08 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Also, for folks that use the "My Work" view, they can drop that query
into a query section of the My Work view, and see any of those incoming
work items in the same view where they see the rest of their pending work.

Cheers,
Geoff

destin wrote:
I like it :) After creating such a query person responsible for a
component can easily track changes, and even get notified using
"Subscribe for Query Feed".

Thanks for response, I wouldn't come up with this so quickly :)

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.