It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

In RTC 6.0.6, where is the Preview tab in the Report Design perspective

Bill Taylor (1441533) | asked Feb 16 '20, 7:07 a.m.

Having installed BIRT into RTC 6.0.6 and selected the Report Design perspective, there is no Preview tab as seen in all previous versions of RTC going right back to v2.0.0.2. Help!!!!!!!

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 18 '20, 2:13 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Consider to check the BIRT version you chose? This seems to be totally related to BIRT only.

Comments
Bill Taylor commented Feb 19 '20, 6:56 a.m.

Thanks for your prompt reply. I installed org.eclipse.platform_4.6.3 so installed the Neon version of BIRT

Bill Taylor commented Feb 20 '20, 1:59 a.m.

I have just tried RTC Client for Eclipse 4.4 and installed the Luna tools with exactly the same result - the "Preview" tab is missing - the other four are present

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 21 '20, 6:08 a.m. | edited Feb 21 '20, 6:09 a.m.
I think this is a Birt Issue, isn't it? Is this an editor that originates in RTC or one that originates in Eclipse (e.g. a BIRT plugin)? If so, I would suggest to rather ask in other forums related to those tools.

permanent link
Bill Taylor (1441533) | answered Feb 27 '20, 5:27 a.m.
It appears this is a deliberate decision by the Eclipse community (see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=421879):
Due to the poor HTML5 support for the default SWT browser widget(IE ActiveX version) under windows platform and potential memory leak issue(see https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=134646), we want to remove the preview tab from the report editor. User can still continue using the preview action buttons in the main toolbar which can be configured to use the external browser as preference.
Unfortunately, for report development, this alternative to the Preview tab and hugely inferior - no rptconfig files to remember the parameter settings and a lot slower. Also, I find that Run > Preview Report no longer works - dataSetRow["SORT_INDEX"] always seems to be null in a nested table.

There is a cryptic comment at the end of the article stating "The Editor's Report Preview page extension is disabled. Related codes are left intact, so developers may re-enable it in the source". Is this achievable if BIRT is installed in RTC?

Comments
Bill Taylor commented Feb 27 '20, 5:30 a.m.

The above links don't seems to work here. I found them in the article https://stackoverflow.com/questions/24817182/missing-preview-tab-in-birt-layout, where they do work

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 27 '20, 5:56 a.m.

I do not think that users here know that. My assumption is: if it needs to be enabled in the code, you have to get the code, change it to enable it and recreate the deploy-able that you install into RTC, It is basically something to discuss in the BIRT forums.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.