It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Time spent and Time remaining

Bareket Matmon (1717) | asked Dec 12 '19, 1:49 a.m.

Hi, 

We're currently using tasks, each task with different estimation. 
In our tasks, we use the following attributes: 
* Estimate/correction 
* Time remaining
* Due Date

My questions are: 
Is there another difference (besides the way it's calculated) between 'Time remaining' and 'Time spent'? or its just allowing me to choose which attribute I prefer to work with? if I change the 'Time Remaining' to 'Time spent' in my tasks WI- the calculation in Progress & Load bars will still be the same? 

can I use both 'Time Remaining' and 'Time spent' in my tasks? or it's not necessary? 

What exactly 'Due Date' attribute does? does it effect on our Plans & Progress/Load bars in some way? what if I'll remove it? 

Thank you, 

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Dec 12 '19, 2:21 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Time remaining and time spent are two modes using the same attribute. You have to decide which one to use in each project area. The bars should show pretty much the same information as they work based on the same data. The presentation might be slightly different.

I personally find time spent easier to use. this is likely due to the fact that I am not developing full time.

The Due date is informational. There are plan checks you can enable that create warnings based on the iteration end and the due date, which I usually find confusing.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.