It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC planning capabilities

Bareket Matmon (1717) | asked Dec 10 '19, 5:11 a.m.

Hi, 

Is there a way to see the progress of Task not by its hours? 

for example, I have 1 feature with 2 task child:
Task A- estimated with 5h
Task B- estimated with 10h 

a developer can work on the task A for almost 4h, yet he didn't achieve any progress. Is that reflect on RTC? 
or RTC (planning) thinks that he is going to finish the task on time (even though he still has a lot to complete, but just spent lot of time on it)?

also, what will happen if I move only Task B to different developer? would it change the estimation? 

Thanks, 
Bareket    

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Dec 10 '19, 5:59 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
As far as I can tell, RTC does not assume anyone makes their tasks on time. If i have a task and it says it has estimated 4 hours to complete and the developer works on it for 4 hours but does not update time spent, the estimated time to complete is still 4 hours. Users also can work on tasks that are not the current ones or the highest rank or priority. If no one updates the time spent/time remaining, the expected time to complete stays as it is.

What RTC does though is it can calculate the time that went by since the start of the iteration to today and aggregates the hours that users where available. It shows the work time that was expected to be available. It counts the estimated and left hours for the items planned iteration and calculates how much progress was reported vs. how much work was expected to be done. It tells you if you are ahead or behind.

Changing the owner does not change the tasks estimation (estimated, time left,...). But the task will show up in some kind of order in the users  inbox and the scheduler will calculate the expected start and end time based on the order of planned execution and the estimates.

Comments
Bareket Matmon commented Dec 10 '19, 7:23 a.m.

so from what I understand, RTC makes the calculation based on Time Remaining/Time spent only....not the actual work done for the task, right? 

because if I work on the task for half of the time (half of its estimation time), but barely get any progress, still RTC will consider that half of the task is already done....  

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 10 '19, 8:02 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Right, we do not have any telepathic features to know what the user has done and what not, unless the user tells us by changing the attributes e.g. the time remaining etc.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.