It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does the GANTT chart keeps adjusting itself when resources update the actual time?

Ranganathan Narasimhan (611) | asked Feb 24 '15, 8:06 a.m.
I'm trying to have a "road map" (GANTT chart) view for my team current's sprint plan.
Once I have completed the planning, I have seen that the planned effort, say for 90 h appx. for one of the stories (with some handful of tasks underneath) it starts on 18th of Feb and ends on 10th of Mar.
Once the resources have updated the actual efforts to these tasks, when I see the road map again, the "road map" which earlier showed the end date as 10th of Mar, is now showing 09th of Mar. And this is because the initial task, which is now completed (because of adding 8h (actual)/ 8h (estimated)), it actually shrinks to the start date in the map view and the second activity which in the initial plan started on 19th of Feb, now starts on 18th of Feb.

When I tried to see how this works on adding more actual efforts, the road map further gets pulled further and the end date gets advanced. But in reality that's not the case as the actual efforts are still inline with the planned efforts. 

Is there any way to see the road map frozen with planned efforts as it is and the actuals getting updated along side the planned effort?

Comments
N Z commented Feb 24 '15, 4:54 p.m.

When you say you're using GANTT for your sprint, what process template are you using?

GANTT charts are only usable with the formal process management template (and even then it is very limited and rather tedious), they are not usable with other templates in the traditional sense. I would only recommend it for very simple planning using the formal process management template.

Incidentally, IBM has stated that RTC is NOT a planning tool and they have no intention of making it one. The term plan in RTC is used very loosely (in my opinion), so don't expect too much from the planning component (either formal or agile). It is ok in a very narrow set of use cases, but deviate from that and it becomes fairly useless.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 24 '15, 9:38 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In RTC, the GANTT chart is, unlike im MS Project, dynamically calculated from the work item data. So if a user changes some data, this will influence the chart.

If you want a frozen chart, create a plan snapshot. You can show the plan snapshot in parallel to the current plan.

See: https://jazz.net/library/article/658

Comments
Ranganathan Narasimhan commented Feb 24 '15, 10:15 a.m.

I understand it's meaningful to have the GANTT chart getting updated dynamically when some user changes the estimated work. But when the estimated work remains unchanged and just the actual efforts are updated, I wonder why the GANTT chart for such tasks (where actual meets estimated efforts) become 0, and further sequence of activities are moved forward.

Example:
When I have entered 8h against some task, I spent on Monday, how can the work that's suppose to remain scheduled for tuesday gets moved ahead again to Monday and accounted for 8 more hours on monday. Monday is already done and no more work can be done on Monday.

And just to see what happens, I entered complete actual efforts for all tasks in a story, and this resulted in the GANTT chart minimising to the start date of the sprint. It would lead me to interpret the story was all done on day 1.

Ralph Schoon commented Feb 24 '15, 10:28 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

If someone changes the effort - or time progresses - the chart basically changes. Even if noone does actually any work and a week passes by, the plan would change. So, unless the calculations are incorrect, the chart is not static, but literally changes on a continuous basis. That is why there are the snapshots as described in the article.

I can't comment on what you experience above as I have only limited practice with the traditional planning and no time to play around with it atm. If you disagree with the current functionality or find it faulty, please open an enhancement request.

Ranganathan Narasimhan commented Feb 24 '15, 10:29 a.m.

In short, the basic issue I'm facing is that it looks like the GANTT chart refers to the "remaining work" left and it re-schedules the tasks, again and again, from the day 1 (the start date of the sprint), once some actual efforts are entered. At some point when I update efforts for all tasks, there's no GANTT chart as there is no more work left.

Ranganathan Narasimhan commented Feb 25 '15, 2:26 a.m.

okay, thanks Ralph. I just submitted a work item on this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.