It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do you create a column that displays values based on a calculation involving other attributes?

Nicholas Costa (11) | asked Dec 05 '19, 10:30 p.m.
Product: DOORS Next Generation

For example, you may have the attributes:
Probability: Low, Medium or High
Risk: Low, Medium or High

Then you have a definition for a Rating value:
Low = 1, Medium = 2 and High = 3
Rating = Probability * Risk

How would you add the Rating column?

One answer

permanent link
Ian Barnard (1.9k613) | answered Dec 06 '19, 3:45 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
 Hi Nicholas

Assuming you can make an algorithmic implementation of how Rating is calculated, one way would be to create a DNG Extension - these are described on the jazz.net wiki here https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RMExtensionsMain

Choose the DNG version relevant to you then look in Examples and among others there is the ASIL guidance extension which says: "When you select an artifact in the module, the extension runs the algorithm and indicates whether the selected row has the correct ASIL value" - so this example shows how to retrieve attribute values and also how to update another attribute based on those values.

Extensions run in your browser (so with the permissions of the user). For the ASIL example a user would use the extension to update the calculated attribute on all or selected artifacts.

HTH
Ian

Comments
Nicholas Costa commented Dec 08 '19, 8:05 p.m.

Thanks for your response.

This solution seems unsatisfactory to me. I think the only option when implementing a method like this would be to allow all uses to update this value. Since if the extension determined that the value is out of date, it would need the user's access to update it. This would mean that the value would be vulnerable to filling with incorrect data.

I guess what I'm really craving is the equivalent of DOORS classic layout DXL columns. I find myself being disappointed, if no such feature exists.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.