It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Flowing between multiple streams best practices

Jason Dean (1061168) | asked Nov 09 '09, 5:18 a.m.
edited Oct 12 '17, 1:30 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

Hi,
We have a stream called Main which has multiple components inside it. There are four teams which work on this source and may need to change any of the components. So I set up four more streams and add the components from Main into these streams and set the flow target for all these streams to Main.

I'm just trying to work out if this is the best way to achieve what we need.

The way it seems to work is to create a repository workspace for one of the other streams say Team1Stream and make your change and deliver to the Team1Stream.

Later someone creates a repository workspace for Main and accepts the incoming changes from each of the team's streams.

Once that is delivered, the changes that went into Main go back into each of the team's streams. (Team members have to accept them into their own repository workspaces).

Is this the best way to do this?

Thanks,

Jas

One answer

permanent link
Michael Valenta (3.7k3) | answered Nov 09 '09, 10:23 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 12 '17, 1:29 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)

Jas,

You proposal sounds reasonable, assuming that there is some sort of
integration testing that goes on in the workspace created from the Main
stream before all changes are pushed back out to the team streams.

In our model (i.e. RTC development) each team is responsible for pushing
their changes to the main stream and it is also the responsibility of
the teams to pull changes from Main to their streams. Obviously, we have
a build schedule that all teams adhere to that drives the deliveries and
adoptions but this gives each team a bit of flexibility.

Michael

Comments
Esther Burwell commented Jan 21 '10, 12:14 p.m. | edited Oct 12 '17, 1:30 p.m.

Would you suggest the same approach for the following scenario:

I am looking at supporting several (integrated) projects. The features from each project will likely be integrated into productized plan at some point. Each product has its own process, team members, etc. Although, team members may be part of each project. I am looking for the best way to not have tightly shared visibility between each project, but do want to be able to interject the features at a later time.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.