It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why does sharing a solution to Jazz not add my .sln file to source control?

Michael Prentice (622913) | asked Jan 23 '13, 12:04 p.m.
 I am using RTC 4.0.1 with Visual Studio 2012. I set the Source Control to Jazz Source Control under Tools->Options->Source Control. I created a sandbox in D:\Project. I connected to my repository.

My solution looks like this in my sandbox:

D:\Project\Solution.sln
D:\Project\Project1
D:\Project\Project2
D:\Project\Project3

I went to my Solution Explorer and right clicked on the Solution and did Share Project(s) to Jazz...
The did Finish. It seemed to share everything properly. I later checked things in and delivered them.

Everything showed up in the Source Control view online except for the top level .sln file. So later when a team member connected to join the project, he got everything except for the top level .sln file that is required to open the solution.

I've looked through the documentation here. But it wasn't clear what the issue was. It appears to be showing that our configuration is correct. Our current layout is a normal/standard setup and the default for how VS2012 creates new solutions.

I'd like to know both how to better handle this in the future and also how to add the .sln file to source control after the fact?

If I go into the Sandbox Explorer in VS2012 and then click on the .sln file and do Share Folder in Jazz... my VS2012 crashes.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sreerupa Sen (1.0k4) | answered Jan 24 '13, 3:37 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Michael,
    What you're seeing is not to do with sharing a solution, it's to do with the .sln file being directly under a sandbox. RTC VS does not support the sharing of top level files directly under a sandbox.

If you change your use case to this project structure, it should start working for you:

D:\Project\SolutionFolder\Solution1.sln
D:\Project\SolutionFolder\Project1
D:\Project\SolutionFolder\Project2
D:\Project\SolutionFolder\Project3

Please let me know if that fixes your problem. As for the crash, I reproduced it, and we will provide a fix for it. Since top level files are not tracked by RTC, this bug seems to have missed our radar. Thanks a lot for bringing it to our notice.
Cheers
--Rupa
RTC Clients Team
Michael Prentice selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Dustan Daniel commented Apr 04 '13, 5:22 a.m.

Is there a work item tracking this? We have had the same issue in our environment. When will the fix be ready?

Sreerupa Sen commented May 04 '13, 11:49 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi Dustan,

Sorry I missed seeing this question. Do you mean a fix for the crash or sharing the solution? Support share file. (110989) tracks this but this hasn't seen any activity in ages - please add a comment there if this is important to you, that helps us prioritize.

Cheers
--Rupa 
RTC Clients Team

Michael Prentice commented Jun 17 '13, 7:32 p.m.

Thank you, I've added a comment. RTC should inform the user of the issue and then offer to resolve the problem automatically.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.