It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Planning Poker in RTC?

Mark Wainwright (46137) | asked Nov 06 '09, 10:48 a.m.
A lot of scrum teams use planning poker as a way of doing team-based sizings for the user stories they are planning.

Is there any work planned in RTC to support planning poker in the product or are there any plug-ins that are available for doing this?

There are a few tools external to the product to help teams run planning poker sessions, but you need to export/import your story definitions and then copy back the final story point sizing you agreed back into RTC, so there's some wasted time in this process.

I searched, but didn't find an enhancement that addresses this? Is there one? Should I open one?

Thanks!
Mark

4 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Nov 06 '09, 5:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
A lot of scrum teams use planning poker as a way of doing team-based sizings for the user stories they are planning.

Is there any work planned in RTC to support planning poker in the product or are there any plug-ins that are available for doing this?

There are a few tools external to the product to help teams run planning poker sessions, but you need to export/import your story definitions and then copy back the final story point sizing you agreed back into RTC, so there's some wasted time in this process.

I searched, but didn't find an enhancement that addresses this? Is there one? Should I open one?

Thanks!
Mark

Hi Mark

Definitely open an enhancement request.

anthony

permanent link
Robert Heinemeyer (33910) | answered Mar 02 '12, 11:01 a.m.
Heres a dirt simple way to do planning poker in RTC:

1. Add a planning poker task to the store to be estimated
2. Subordinate to the planning poker task, add one task for each developer who will be doing the estimating
3. Have the developers open their respective tasks and enter their estimates. On signal, have them hit their save button to save the estimate value.
4. The scrum master displays and projects a screen with the story, planning poker tasks, and individual developer estimation tasks. The scrum master does a refresh after all the developers have done the save, and the developer estimates are displayed
5. When complete, the consensus estimate can be displayed for the planner poker task.
6. The planning poker is then part of the permanent record for the story.

permanent link
Paul Sims (31513421) | answered Nov 07 '09, 12:08 p.m.
Hi Mark, Dr. Laurie Williams of NC State has some of her students developing an RTC planning poker plug-in. You can follow their progress at http://agile.csc.ncsu.edu/wolfpoker . If you would like more information, please contact Millard Ellingsworth.

Paul Sims, Agile Development Coach
IBM WebSphere Commerce

permanent link
Jesse Houldsworth (1811111) | answered Sep 03 '14, 6:46 p.m.
 Are there any updates on this topic? I have a customer that's familiar with Planning Poker and is looking for an easy way to do this in RTC.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.